Undiagnosed autism

Did anyone else here miss out on a diagnosis? Is there anyone from the 60s 70s or 80s who never got diagnosed and had autism back in the old days when no one knew anything about it? I find this really interesting. I missed diagnosis in school in the 2000s. It’s much better recognised now a days.

Parents
  • Yep am 53 and found out at 50. Back then you had to adapt, or die. There was no support, no nothing, school with no teaching assiants and strict disipline. I spent my childhood trying to be normal and trying not to stick out to the bullies. Despite this I seemed to have a light above my head saying 'im diffrent, bully me'. Unless you were really disruptive school didn't care, I was the opposite and kept my head down. Have had no help from the NHS and waited  4 years for a diagnosis. I do wonder if we have gone back the other way a little too much rather then letting people with ASD find their own path?

• Yep am 53 and found out at 50. Back then you had to adapt, or die. There was no support, no nothing, school with no teaching assiants and strict disipline. I spent my childhood trying to be normal and trying not to stick out to the bullies. Despite this I seemed to have a light above my head saying 'im diffrent, bully me'. Unless you were really disruptive school didn't care, I was the opposite and kept my head down. Have had no help from the NHS and waited  4 years for a diagnosis. I do wonder if we have gone back the other way a little too much rather then letting people with ASD find their own path?

Children
No Data