Undiagnosed autism

Did anyone else here miss out on a diagnosis? Is there anyone from the 60s 70s or 80s who never got diagnosed and had autism back in the old days when no one knew anything about it? I find this really interesting. I missed diagnosis in school in the 2000s. It’s much better recognised now a days.

Parents
  • I was diagnosed at the age of 60, born in 1962.

It was only in the 1980s I think that diagnosis of 'high functioning' autism became a thing and in fact I have a friend who tried for many years this century to get a diagnosis but it's only in the last decade as far as I'm aware that diagnosing is catching up.

Aspergers (the original term used for 'high functioning' autism) wasn't used officially until the 1990s.

It's particularly the case for females to have gone undiagnosed as it was seen as a male thing until relatively recently.

Autism in females presents differently to that in males.

• I was diagnosed at the age of 60, born in 1962.

It was only in the 1980s I think that diagnosis of 'high functioning' autism became a thing and in fact I have a friend who tried for many years this century to get a diagnosis but it's only in the last decade as far as I'm aware that diagnosing is catching up.

Aspergers (the original term used for 'high functioning' autism) wasn't used officially until the 1990s.

It's particularly the case for females to have gone undiagnosed as it was seen as a male thing until relatively recently.

Autism in females presents differently to that in males.

Children
No Data