Undiagnosed autism

Did anyone else here miss out on a diagnosis? Is there anyone from the 60s 70s or 80s who never got diagnosed and had autism back in the old days when no one knew anything about it? I find this really interesting. I missed diagnosis in school in the 2000s. It’s much better recognised now a days.

Parents
  • I didn't find out till I was 49, bulk of my school years were 80s (left highschool in 91), definitely a Very different world. 

All these years later I know now why I struggled so much. But had I been diagnosed I can't imagine getting much help, probably would have been excluded even more, even today they diagnose and notice autism in school kids but do little to help them once they have, beyond removing them from mainstream. 

• I didn't find out till I was 49, bulk of my school years were 80s (left highschool in 91), definitely a Very different world. 

All these years later I know now why I struggled so much. But had I been diagnosed I can't imagine getting much help, probably would have been excluded even more, even today they diagnose and notice autism in school kids but do little to help them once they have, beyond removing them from mainstream. 

Children
  • That’s a shame but at least you know now. It’s crazy how it wasn’t a thing back in the day. I mean autism likely always existed but was never a diagnosis or a recognised condition. Until now. It makes sense to me now but I feel sorry for my ancestors who had autism and never been diagnosed who suffered poverty and so on.