Noise Cancelling Headphones - Recommendations

Hi everyone

I want to purchase some noise cancelling headphones but I'm unsure which ones to buy - there are a lot of choices.

I've got some Loops that I use at home which are great, but if I wear them out people often try and communicate with me because they're not visible. I don't mind communicating with people but sometimes I think the visual aspect of noise cancelling headphones would be useful.

I don't have a limitless budget so does anyone have any recommendations for decent mid-range noise cancelling headphones?

Thank you in advance

• I wanted to use similar headphones when out and about.  Here were my shopping criteria and a link to what I bought and have been successfully using:

Shopping list parameters:

- budget of between £20 to £30

- over the ear (not on the ear ...to aim for better active noise-cancelling effect)

- Bluetooth

- hybrid active noise-cancelling ANC (there is a button to press to pause the ANC when I need to talk to someone)

- ANC is optional (if an area is quiet, I can switch off the ANC to extend battery life)

- also has a 3.5mm jack cable connector (in case I am at college and run out of battery and want to charge from a laptop etc.)

- lightweight

- fold flat articulatable ear muffs (easier to tote in handbag / bookbag / rucksack / stash in a desk drawer)

- smooth, but slightly textured, finish material construction (I don't like handling headphones with super-shiny surfaces)

- OK with Android / iOS / Laptop / Tablet / Mobile Phone (aiming for one set of headphones to use with various devices)

- no itchy / scratchy textured ear muffs 

- easy set up / configuration which does not require use of a wretched app (frustration free set up or else!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RUNOLIM-Cancelling-Headphones-Bluetooth-Microphone-Black/dp/B0C8SJSL9H/ref=asc_df_B0C8SJSL9H/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=665322342394&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12305428368220581159&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9073556&hvtargid=pla-2195317677241&psc=1&mcid=5d0822da0d8c3d828c6e47d8035b7335

Bonus (which I had not considered before my purchase) I can happily sit studying / listening to a Podcast / Video / Zoom Conference or Training Course etc. while sat in the living room indoors at home - as other members of my household watch the TV on their usual choice of volume. 

• Sony's WH-1000XM4 is often regarded as one of the best noise-canceling headphones available. They offer excellent sound quality, industry-leading noise cancellation, long battery life, and a comfortable fit.

• Hi

I I have loops but to be honest I cannot wear them. This is quite strange but since discovering my neurodiversity I noticed a ringing in my ears (tinnitus I believe). When I put the loops in it amplifies the sound and it seems worse. 

• If you ever consider in-ears, I have actually found loops really handy! I have them on my keys in their carry case, the colours are cool and they have a range of decimal blockage based on the ones you buy. For me I have the cheapest ones which block 14db and they are amazing! I can go to concerts and enjoy the music but block out a lot of the crowd and find myself being able to enjoy social events with them in, that and they are really subtle! 

• Okay, for a mid-range budget, the Sony WH-1000XM5 and Anker Soundcore Q30

The Sony WH-1000XM5 are not mid range budget. They cost around £300!

The Anker ones are not too expensive. I haven't tried them myself but I have seen them recommended on here and elsewhere.

I have the Bose Quiet Comfort SE, they are good and certainly less expensive than Sony.

If all you want is a visual deterrent with the same effect as Loops then why not consider some ear defenders. Decent ones can be purchased for less than £20.