Dyspraxia - are you clumsy? + vision problems

I've been chatting to an online friend about this and we were wondering if we have dyspraxia.

I know there is a link with autism.

When I was in the junior school a school report said: 'although not physically well co-ordinated Debra enjoys PE (physical education, sports)'.

Actually I loathed it and was hopeless and always picked last.

Very poor eyesight didn't help though so sometimes it's difficult to 'see the wood for the trees'.

My whole life I've fallen over, broken and dropped things and walked into anything really that's walkintoable.

Here's a link:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/developmental-coordination-disorder-dyspraxia-in-adults/

What about you?

Parents
  • I was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I had my learning disabilities assessment at uni, I think it was after attempting a tesselation test where I just poked at the tiles with one finger instead of picking them up and manipulating them, the psychologist said she'd never seen anyone do that before. I'm always covered in bruises and scrapes, I'm often dirty too, if anyting drops out of the sky or rises up from the ground it always sticks to me, I must be an attractive person, shame it mostly mud and crud though! When I was hairdressing perm rollers used to ping out of my fingers and I only just scrapped though the hair-ups module, I can cut and colour really well though so thats what I concentrated on. A friend had hysterics watching me encounter a coin operated shopping trolley for the first time, she watched me with amused confusion at how I was trying to put the coin in, I didn't think it was obvious at all, but everyone else does apparently. I was hopeless at sport not only the last to picked, but banned from using a shot put or a javelin because I was too dangerous, with the first to myself, I just missed my toes and the second as a danger to everyone else, if I go to throw something like a ball it usually goes straight up in the air rather than to the person I was throwing too. I dont' have much in the way of balance, high heals are a dangerous and I get vertigo, and I can't ride a bike because of balance issues. I can't dance because I have no sense of timing or rhythm nor can I clap along to music, I never know where my feet are supposed to go when dancing. I achieved the spectacular feat, when learning belly dancing, of having my boobs shimmying in opposite directions to my bum none of which was in time to the music, my teacher was Algerian and said she knew English people don't know how to move thier bodies, but that I was the English English person she'd ever tried to teach. I often feel as though theres a disconnect between my brain and my limbs, I can see what I need to do , but my limbs don't obey. I actually thin there must be a gene for the inability to carry a rythum and I couldn't carry one in a bucket!.

• I absolutely relate to a lot of the issues you described! When playing soccer at PE class, my classmates asked the teacher to remove me from the field immediately as I kicked their legs instead of the ball. Dancing was also funny. Fine motor skills are a bit better but gross motor skills are terrible in me. I often feel that I don’t have full control over my body. It’s irritating and frustrating, but now I can see what’s probably the cause of it. 

• I absolutely relate to a lot of the issues you described! When playing soccer at PE class, my classmates asked the teacher to remove me from the field immediately as I kicked their legs instead of the ball. Dancing was also funny. Fine motor skills are a bit better but gross motor skills are terrible in me. I often feel that I don’t have full control over my body. It’s irritating and frustrating, but now I can see what’s probably the cause of it. 

Children
No Data