psychiatrist referrals

I'm awaiting an initial appointment but don't know what to expect. I've heard these referrals often get closed if you get deemed beyond help because of autism and or long term depression (I have both). 

I've had enough letters from the MH system recently saying that they can't help (inc that the GP's request for a psychiatrist referral was turned down twice) which really isn't helpful when you're feeling suicidal. 

Are the visits to a psychiatrist always summarised to you in writing afterwards? Can you decline for this to happen if you are concerned that it is only going to be triggering? I admit that I am probably beyond help due to a lifetime of negativity (and I am unable to react any differently to any suggestions made to me which I guess can seem confrontational) but I really don't need this confirmed in writing to me.

Parents
  • Yeh I don’t agree with that at all. No one is beyond help in my opinion. I mean what do they expect you to do? I wouldn’t go overboard worrying about a psychiatrist rejecting you anyway. There isn’t much they do to be honest all they do is prescribe the same drugs a GP would prescribe anyway which is just antidepressants. Other than that they might refer you for therapy but that’s it. Psychiatrists have the power to do other things like prescribe much more powerful antidepressants that most people have never heard of that were invented way back in the 1950s. But they don’t even do that most of the time because there’s too many side effects. So they just follow protocols and guidelines that your GP follows anyway which is again just prescribing SSRI’s. I really don’t get how it all works it’s very strange. I would say in my opinion the main thing that sets a psychiatrist apart from a GP is that a psychiatrist has the power to diagnose psychiatric conditions but that’s about it. Please don’t bother yourself too much if you don’t get access to a psychiatrist trust me I don’t think there’s much to be sad about with regards to that. Try other things like working on your self esteem and eating a healthy diet. There’s lots of other stuff out there. Don’t give up hope I am rooting for you 

• Yeh I don’t agree with that at all. No one is beyond help in my opinion. I mean what do they expect you to do? I wouldn’t go overboard worrying about a psychiatrist rejecting you anyway. There isn’t much they do to be honest all they do is prescribe the same drugs a GP would prescribe anyway which is just antidepressants. Other than that they might refer you for therapy but that’s it. Psychiatrists have the power to do other things like prescribe much more powerful antidepressants that most people have never heard of that were invented way back in the 1950s. But they don’t even do that most of the time because there’s too many side effects. So they just follow protocols and guidelines that your GP follows anyway which is again just prescribing SSRI’s. I really don’t get how it all works it’s very strange. I would say in my opinion the main thing that sets a psychiatrist apart from a GP is that a psychiatrist has the power to diagnose psychiatric conditions but that’s about it. Please don’t bother yourself too much if you don’t get access to a psychiatrist trust me I don’t think there’s much to be sad about with regards to that. Try other things like working on your self esteem and eating a healthy diet. There’s lots of other stuff out there. Don’t give up hope I am rooting for you 

Children