Are to many normal behaviours being pathologised?

I notice here on these boards and in other places too that so many behaviours seem to be being pathologised, to  the point where I wonder if there's any meaning to it anymore? It seems to me that its lazy thinking to class something as a pathology when its actually perfectly normal. I mean do I have patholgical fire avoidance because I dont' want to get burnt?

Parents
  • Yes.

I'm quite tired. But these are good conversations to have. Along with behaviours which are expected and 'typical', which should be pathologies but aren't.

• Along with behaviours which are expected and 'typical', which should be pathologies but aren't.

A few psychopaths I've worked with could have done with having their behaviour in the work place seen as less acceptable (and far less rewarded).

• We could have done with it; they were probably doing quite okay like that. Someone published a study recently tracking pupils behaviour in schools and where they ended up in life and it showed that kids who are noted by their teachers for aggressive and bullying behaviour earned more and were happier at work than their average peer. Our society is set up for the wrong kind of people to succeed. 

• Our society is set up for the wrong kind of people to succeed. 

Absolutely. 

The ones I was thinking of were successful in their careers which put them in the ideal position to walk all over people.

Deeply manipulative too.

• Our society is set up for the wrong kind of people to succeed. 

Absolutely. 

The ones I was thinking of were successful in their careers which put them in the ideal position to walk all over people.

Deeply manipulative too.

Children
No Data