Are to many normal behaviours being pathologised?

I notice here on these boards and in other places too that so many behaviours seem to be being pathologised, to  the point where I wonder if there's any meaning to it anymore? It seems to me that its lazy thinking to class something as a pathology when its actually perfectly normal. I mean do I have patholgical fire avoidance because I dont' want to get burnt?

Parents
  • Well people do manifest behaviours over-time and in response to distress, and awkwardly so, where they have had to develop an atypical cognition in a typical world.

People who pose seemingly-normal behaviours, and are autistic, have a root of spared-cognition overshadowing those behaviours. Where a typical person may find a quick remedy to those issues, by declaring and communicating those issues, an atypical-person may find that they cannot communicate the issue to themselves rightly, let alone to the community.

It is lazy thinking to assume that an atypical person dealing with a simple issue, just because it seems simple to you, just because it is a normal problem to you. In fact an atypical person may be beguiled and warped for decades, because they are gas-lit into thinking that a problem is simple or they are lazy, they may develop stress and mood disorders as a result of being gas-lit into thinking they are lazy and not impaired.

In autism their are very few sufferers who do not report compensating/camouflaging/masking their struggle, so that they may appease those who cannot empathise with spared-cognition, insisting that ‘everyone is on the spectrum’ or other such lines..

• I am ND too you know, I know about masking and the problems it brings and many of your other points. But, I do think we're at risk of having our every expression positive, negative or indifferent over examined.

• No worries cat, I am aware that you’re ND too, I suppose I can’t help but feel the need to oppose the point, because I think the issue of weighting the psychological side too much is the greater issue.

I feel the pull of nd criticisms all the time, I feel that every time a take my foot of the neurological gas as-it-were, the neurotypical side doesn’t. So I always try to hold this line where I can..:)

• No worries cat, I am aware that you’re ND too, I suppose I can’t help but feel the need to oppose the point, because I think the issue of weighting the psychological side too much is the greater issue.

I feel the pull of nd criticisms all the time, I feel that every time a take my foot of the neurological gas as-it-were, the neurotypical side doesn’t. So I always try to hold this line where I can..:)

Children
No Data