I Don't Think Neurotypicals Understand What We Autistics Mean By Accommodate to Us Who Are Autistic

I think people who are neurotypical don't honestly get what we Autistics are asking when it comes to us asking to be accommodated to and I feel it has to do with the brainwashing they to over complicate and over think things.

Like I don't think us who are Autistic are asking a lot of people, yeah there are things beyond our control, like the other day I went to a reenactment and they had some loud noises with guns and cannons going off which was a sensory overload for me.

I mean for me to have a function relationship with me is simple:

1. Don't say things you don't mean. I get there is things that happen, for example, you want to go to the store but your car isn't working so you can't, that's one thing.
  2. Don't be a hypocrite and have double standards and get upset with me for doing the same thing you were doing. Like for example, my friend is upset that I talked to people and showed them a private conversation between us and yet they went and brought their friends into things long before me. Told me not to tell anyone but it's okay for him to, but I'm the problem...
  3. Don't assume things about me and make me like I am neurotypicals. I'm not neurotypical so my way of thinking isn't the way of thinking like other neurotypicals. Like for example, I've been accused of having a "hidden agenda" or like I'm some vindictive person trying to hurt people when that's not the case, I am either very upset because I don't feel heard or I'm telling my side of the story and showing the evidence to back me up so people know I'm not lying.
  4. Have your actions meet your words. Like if people say they understand, show me you understand.
  5. Don't put words in my mouth that I don't say. If I'm not saying it, then I don't mean that.
  6. Compromise with me so we both can get what we want, don't make it where it is one trying to force the other to do just what they want.

How is stuff like this hard for neurotypicals to conform to just so I can function? What about anyone else? What is it that you need accommodated that neurotypicals don't seem to understand?

Parents
  • I'm still trying to understand where the neurotypical behavior ends and autistic behavior or realm begins. Like i want to be accommodated, but I've grown up in the neurotypical world, thinking i've been neurotypical this whole time and so have been applying those standards and expectations and ideals to myself when thats not the thing thats supportive for me at all. I'm in the process of unmasking and trying to manage the sensory overload that comes with it. The world feels completely different now that ive started paying attention to my own internal sensory experience. It's really strange and im still feeling confused a lot even though i realize now that most of my "weird" sensory experiences are due to autism (awareness helps but not as much as i'd like). 

How do you untangle the neurotypical culture and it's expectations from your own way of being as an autistic person? I would appreciate any advice. I am a late diagnosis at 21, presenting the female phenotype, and according to my psychologist mask a lot. 

• I'm still trying to understand where the neurotypical behavior ends and autistic behavior or realm begins. Like i want to be accommodated, but I've grown up in the neurotypical world, thinking i've been neurotypical this whole time and so have been applying those standards and expectations and ideals to myself when thats not the thing thats supportive for me at all. I'm in the process of unmasking and trying to manage the sensory overload that comes with it. The world feels completely different now that ive started paying attention to my own internal sensory experience. It's really strange and im still feeling confused a lot even though i realize now that most of my "weird" sensory experiences are due to autism (awareness helps but not as much as i'd like). 

How do you untangle the neurotypical culture and it's expectations from your own way of being as an autistic person? I would appreciate any advice. I am a late diagnosis at 21, presenting the female phenotype, and according to my psychologist mask a lot. 

Children
No Data