EMDR

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of EMDR?

I have concerns about eye contact with the therapist, anxiety etc

Cheeers x

Parents
  • I did it with a therapist at one point. I'm not really sure if it actually helped make the traumatic memories easier, but maybe. 

You're not actually going to be looking into their eyes for it, so eye contact shouldn't be more of an issue than a regular therapy session. For mine it was following their finger back and forth so I was looking in their direction but only focused on the hand, but there are options if that's still too much like it can be done with screens also. 

• Thankyou people

It is with the NHS Judge, though it has been a very long wait, a few years.

Thankyou Tris, much appreciated x

• I saw a therapist that offered it on the NHS, I didn't go through with it though, it sounded like it would be good for a one off and isolated trauma, but not so good for anything that's deep or happened over a long period of time. The guy himself seemed a bit of a zealot for EMDR and zealots of any stripe scare me as I don't think they think about the person in front of them. Maybe you could raise your concerns with them?

• I saw a therapist that offered it on the NHS, I didn't go through with it though, it sounded like it would be good for a one off and isolated trauma, but not so good for anything that's deep or happened over a long period of time. The guy himself seemed a bit of a zealot for EMDR and zealots of any stripe scare me as I don't think they think about the person in front of them. Maybe you could raise your concerns with them?

Children
No Data