The sudden rise of AuDHD: what is behind the rocketing rates of this life-changing diagnosis?

Guardian article:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/04/audhd-what-is-behind-rocketing-rates-life-changing-diagnosis

I hadn't realised that these diagnoses were until recently seen to be mutually exclusive.

Parents
  • That's interesting. I read it a couple of days ago. 

There's a spike recently, but ADHD diagnosis has been on the rise for decades.

More people are getting evaluated. More doctors are capable of evaluation and have training and tools for it. Info is more available now and there's a greater understanding of how ADHD presents in adulthood. 

Combine these things and you have more diagnoses.

I was diagnosed with it last year, I was diagnosed with autism first though they thought I had bipolar at first.

Hopefully it means there will be more support too as there's more diagnosis's. More support for autism would be good as well... You're diagnosed and left on your own afterwards it's a nightmare.

• I think they've realised it runs in families too so are more likely to encourge adults to get tested, also parents who recognise traits in thier diagnosed children that they themselves have are asking for diagnosis.

• Yes I agree with this. A lot has changed now, like new knowledge gained and it's opened the flood gates as it were. I've got a little girl, she's 2 now, I'll be interested to see if she's ADHD. She already shows signs of autism.

• Yes I agree with this. A lot has changed now, like new knowledge gained and it's opened the flood gates as it were. I've got a little girl, she's 2 now, I'll be interested to see if she's ADHD. She already shows signs of autism.

Children
  • I do wonder why this is too, as some people say that it is childhood vaccine related as in “vaccine damaged” children in the 1960’s and 1970’s - diagnosis is one thing, but support must also come with this diagnosis - if appropriate support is not available, starting with post diagnostic assessment as the benchmark and gateway to that support, as more autistic adults are diagnosed later in life, then we are facing serious problems in the coming years and decades - it’s all very well to focus on support for children right now, but where does this leave autistic adults