The sudden rise of AuDHD: what is behind the rocketing rates of this life-changing diagnosis?

Guardian article:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/04/audhd-what-is-behind-rocketing-rates-life-changing-diagnosis

I hadn't realised that these diagnoses were until recently seen to be mutually exclusive.

Parents
  • I read it.

This. Is. Exactly. It -

"What frequently underpins the external and internal chaos, according to experts and many ADHDers alike, is a pervasive sense of deep shame and the quiet realisation that their potential in life is not being met."

• is a pervasive sense of deep shame and the quiet realisation that their potential in life is not being met.

I can identify with that too, in spite of not also having AD(H)D.

I'm not sure that my realisation was ever 'quiet' though.

It became resounding once I was diagnosed.

• Mine's more a creeping crescendo which hasn't reached a peak yet.

Adhd had never been a question although I've always felt too sociable and unorganised to be completely autistic. 

It's the contradictions which can be hard. I mostly accept them but when you are internally being pulled in two directions, it can get confusing! Especially when ive been led to believe my executive functioning problems are all to do with autism. It's clear they are not. And also my thinking patterns.  I tried, hard, to find information on both conditions together but never could.  Now it's like all of a sudden it's everywhere - why couldn't I find it!! 

And the other part of me is like - I'm just me - does it matter where it comes from 

This is why I didn't want to read the article. It's opened up a can of worms in my head which need stuffing back in.

• You haven't - I chose to read it! Maybe the worms need releasing. 

• It's opened up a can of worms in my head which need stuffing back in.

Not a nice metaphor Snake

Nevertheless, I'm sorry to have unsettled you with this article, and I hope you can fit the worms back in where they belong.

Reply Children