The sudden rise of AuDHD: what is behind the rocketing rates of this life-changing diagnosis?

Guardian article:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/04/audhd-what-is-behind-rocketing-rates-life-changing-diagnosis

I hadn't realised that these diagnoses were until recently seen to be mutually exclusive.

Parents
  • no its quite strange that any one would asssume they were mutually exclusive I've no idea where the idea came from because i've never read reserch to that effect. I think the term AuDHD probably just muddies the water but its good that people are starting to realise that far from being mutually exclusive the 2 (quite seperate) conditions appear together frequently.

• It came from DSM-IV, where ADHD was only diagnosed once other developmental conditions such as autism, Aspergers,PD-NOS had been ruled out. The new revised DSM-V now recognises that the two conditions can overlap. Recent research suggests the overlap is up to 60%.

• It came from DSM-IV, where ADHD was only diagnosed once other developmental conditions such as autism, Aspergers,PD-NOS had been ruled out. The new revised DSM-V now recognises that the two conditions can overlap. Recent research suggests the overlap is up to 60%.

Children