The sudden rise of AuDHD: what is behind the rocketing rates of this life-changing diagnosis?

Guardian article:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/04/audhd-what-is-behind-rocketing-rates-life-changing-diagnosis

I hadn't realised that these diagnoses were until recently seen to be mutually exclusive.

Parents
  • I avoided reading it. The whole thing stresses me out on a personal level. Ideal world - people have problems, let's help them as individuals.

This is quite flippant but I haven't got the inclination to be going into it today!

• I avoided reading it. The whole thing stresses me out on a personal level. Ideal world - people have problems, let's help them as individuals.

This is quite flippant but I haven't got the inclination to be going into it today!

Children
  • You have not completed your profile, but I am assuming that you are not a mental health professional!  The two diagnostic frameworks in common use are the Internation Classification of Diseases Version 11 and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-5-TR®)

The advantage is that by having a standard classification, one can standardise diagnoses. If there were no accepted common standard, each clinician would be able to attach whatever clinical label they wanted. It would also have huge civil liberties implications - without these frameworks, we would be back to the Victorian era where a doctor could certify a patient as insane and lock them up more or less at will.