Where are we all from?

II'm amazed at how many people here say English isn't thier first language and presumably thier heritage isn't either. How fascinating, in my stunning and vast ignorance I'd assumed that most people here would be from the UK, how international are we as a group of users? By the way I think multinationalism and multiculturalism are great, so I'm not trying to make anyone uncomfortable or unwelcome.

I'm English and have the usual English problems with language, I can be dyslexic in as many languages as you want to try me with, including English. I recently had my DNA tested with an ancestry site as I was researching my family history and found that I'm 84% southern English, which is apparently quite rare, most British people are a mix of Saxon, Irish and Scandi genes, so it looks like my families have been knocking about the place for hundreds of years.

Parents
  • Italian, but I lived in UK since 2011. I am more at home in UK than in Italy.

No idea about my origins, but I look like  a young Saddam Hussein, so probably middle Eastern.

• Some of my family is from the West Midlands via Wales too, I think most of us will have ancestors who were farm workers and the further back you go the more likely it is.

Many Italians are very dark haired and quite dark skinned too, I think people forget or don't know what a melting pot the mediterean was in antiquity and later.

I'm thinking of getting another DNA test, one that will tell me my really deep ancestry, going right back to the end of the ice age. I just find all this stuff fascinating. I see that more information has been found on the Denisovans and that they spread much further than was previously thought and died out later too.

• I love North Wales, including Holyhead - going by train and ferry is a most civilised way to travel home to Ireland and I’ve passed through Holyhead many times in my 22 years living in Manchester - the Welsh people are lovely and a Welsh Christmas is a sight to behold, with the Christmas decorations at Holyhead being a prime example - even the local ASDA in Holyhead is very friendly and homely too 

• I love North Wales, including Holyhead - going by train and ferry is a most civilised way to travel home to Ireland and I’ve passed through Holyhead many times in my 22 years living in Manchester - the Welsh people are lovely and a Welsh Christmas is a sight to behold, with the Christmas decorations at Holyhead being a prime example - even the local ASDA in Holyhead is very friendly and homely too 

Children
No Data