Where are we all from?

II'm amazed at how many people here say English isn't thier first language and presumably thier heritage isn't either. How fascinating, in my stunning and vast ignorance I'd assumed that most people here would be from the UK, how international are we as a group of users? By the way I think multinationalism and multiculturalism are great, so I'm not trying to make anyone uncomfortable or unwelcome.

I'm English and have the usual English problems with language, I can be dyslexic in as many languages as you want to try me with, including English. I recently had my DNA tested with an ancestry site as I was researching my family history and found that I'm 84% southern English, which is apparently quite rare, most British people are a mix of Saxon, Irish and Scandi genes, so it looks like my families have been knocking about the place for hundreds of years.

Parents Reply Children
  • G'wed la ThumbsupI lived in Skelmersdale for 5 years which was the most exposure to Scousers I'd ever had as there are many there. I also got to know Merseyside more during that time as it's nearby Slight smile My mother is most likely autistic too, she has a very good ear for accents (and other specifics, she was a teacher of English, spelling, punctuation, grammar etc). About 10 years ago here in Preston area a young man came to fit my oven. I recognised he had Scouse accent and that was as much as I could tell. My mother said to him 'are you from Deysbrook?' He was very chuffed and said he was. My mum has had little experience of Merseyside really, she lived there briefly before I was born as my father worked for Ministry of Defence and they moved around a lot (I think he worked at Liverpool Docks or something like that there). Deysbrook is quite an obscure part of Merseyside as far as I know, not especially well known? Upside down