Sport

I hate sport, all sport, I don't like competition or see whats so good about it, why it has to dominate so much air time, rugby is practically a religion in Wales with football not far behind. I dont' like wearing uniforms, I'm not a uniform person. I intensely dislike getting hot and sweaty too. I swim like a brick and the best bit of skiing I ever managed was backwards.

Can someone please explain to me whats so good about sport and competition?

Parents
  • I agree, but I suspect it was because enforced team sports during school. I'm just not made for team sports. I discovered I was good at running in high school which came as quite a surprise to all the sporty guys that had presumably written me off as a nerd.

I cannot understand people getting excited about football teams either, talking about the results of a match as if they were on the field themselves. I suspect that type of tribal / gang identity thing just isn't compatible with autism.

• I agree, but I suspect it was because enforced team sports during school. I'm just not made for team sports. I discovered I was good at running in high school which came as quite a surprise to all the sporty guys that had presumably written me off as a nerd.

I cannot understand people getting excited about football teams either, talking about the results of a match as if they were on the field themselves. I suspect that type of tribal / gang identity thing just isn't compatible with autism.

Children
  • For me it's not about team or individual sports, they're all equally nasty, it probably didn't help that I was made to do them at school and I was terrible at them, even my friends didn't want me in thier team.

Some things I don't see as sports that our now olympic events, bmx and break dancing, I don't see how they're either sport or competitive?

I find the '..cameraderie..', frightening, partly because I don't understand it and partly because it feels so threatening to those who either don't care, know or are on a different team.

Apart from the fitness side of it, I don't get why sport is seen as so important and generally a good thing, I don't see why team sport is a good thing, or competitiveness. I find the branding around it disgusts me, I find the ignorance about the political aspects staggringly niave.

I resent  normal tv schedules being disrupted for it, I pay my licence fee too.

We get lots of cyclists and cycling clubs round here and they cause lots of friction with locals, they bomb round single track country lanes seemingly unaware of people, car's and animals, there have been numerous accidents, horses and dogs being killed, it's only a matter of time before a child is seriously injured or killed. Cyclists get very hostile to those of us who live and work here and use the small roads to get about, they surround and kick cars, the local farmers have taken to driving around with thier bailing spikes down, which is dangerous for everyone, but especially those who ride at speeds exceeding whats safe.

Sorry that last paragraph was a bit of a rant, but the attitude of some sports people towards non players is shocking, whether it's on roads, parks or pubs. I get fed up with prissy coments like ther's no I in team, I tell them that if you rearrange the letters theres a me!