Spoke my mind

I have a problem that things I say inadvertently upset some people and I don't know how to convey that what I say isn't I tended to upset or be rude how can I explain this to Atypical person in words that they would understand. I'm feeling really bad that iv made someone sad because of something I have said,how can make things right. Thanks John

Parents
  • Sometimes I've also found it's not helpful to speak my mind, and sometimes it's difficult not to because I cannot 'hear' what I want to say until I say it out loud. That said, I have learned that my constant problem-solving is better applied to Things rather than People. Most aren't asking for a psychologist or a solution! 

Then there's the added problem of our using vocal Words according to their literal definition as we've been taught or as is in a dictionary. And then using them with the incorrect syntax. For the neurotypical population, it appears that language is organic and can be used in conflicting ways, which have different meaning depending on all the other Language cues, most of which, Autistics will have difficulty picking up. 

I've become dependant upon either saying my Telepathy skills are wanting or stopping myself from responding if there's a hint of confusion and asking for clarity. This has taken years to master, along with remembering people mostly talk in order to feel a sense of connecting, which means they might just want to feel affirmed and approved of. To this degree I now only have friends who are divergent or Typical ones who work in the social sciences. 

Sometimes, saying "I'm aware I may have said something inappropriate or hurtful, but I'd really appreciate help understanding what so I try to not do it again" will help. If it's a parent or child, this is important - open the dialogue and allow them room to correct you. With children they can be our best asset, I always allow correction. I only correct my son if I see him handling another person in a way that could be better. He learns how to treat me by how I treat him. 

If it's a colleague or someone we interact with on a regular basis, we can express our difficulty with social linguistics / languages (though music is a language and we might not have difficulty with this). We can also try and present an openness. Autistics tend to not take social language personally and this complicates all kinds of things, as a lot of it is to do with social dominance or connecting through a shared repressed 'guilt' (oedipalisation / sublimation or other Defence Mechanism which Autistics don't tend to have). 

• Sometimes I've also found it's not helpful to speak my mind, and sometimes it's difficult not to because I cannot 'hear' what I want to say until I say it out loud. That said, I have learned that my constant problem-solving is better applied to Things rather than People. Most aren't asking for a psychologist or a solution! 

Then there's the added problem of our using vocal Words according to their literal definition as we've been taught or as is in a dictionary. And then using them with the incorrect syntax. For the neurotypical population, it appears that language is organic and can be used in conflicting ways, which have different meaning depending on all the other Language cues, most of which, Autistics will have difficulty picking up. 

I've become dependant upon either saying my Telepathy skills are wanting or stopping myself from responding if there's a hint of confusion and asking for clarity. This has taken years to master, along with remembering people mostly talk in order to feel a sense of connecting, which means they might just want to feel affirmed and approved of. To this degree I now only have friends who are divergent or Typical ones who work in the social sciences. 

Sometimes, saying "I'm aware I may have said something inappropriate or hurtful, but I'd really appreciate help understanding what so I try to not do it again" will help. If it's a parent or child, this is important - open the dialogue and allow them room to correct you. With children they can be our best asset, I always allow correction. I only correct my son if I see him handling another person in a way that could be better. He learns how to treat me by how I treat him. 

If it's a colleague or someone we interact with on a regular basis, we can express our difficulty with social linguistics / languages (though music is a language and we might not have difficulty with this). We can also try and present an openness. Autistics tend to not take social language personally and this complicates all kinds of things, as a lot of it is to do with social dominance or connecting through a shared repressed 'guilt' (oedipalisation / sublimation or other Defence Mechanism which Autistics don't tend to have). 

Children
No Data