Spoke my mind

I have a problem that things I say inadvertently upset some people and I don't know how to convey that what I say isn't I tended to upset or be rude how can I explain this to Atypical person in words that they would understand. I'm feeling really bad that iv made someone sad because of something I have said,how can make things right. Thanks John

Parents
  • Hi John - does the person that you upset know that you are autistic?
    If not, then that may be a good starting place - maybe email / message them, telling them about your autism and how it can cause problems with communication.

I had a habit if upsetting colleagues with the way that I communicated / explained things in a very matter of fact way.
    This was before my diagnosis and was one of the things that prompted me to start looking into autism and getting assessed.

Once I had been formerly diagnosed, I sent an email to my colleagues explaining that I am autistic and how that can make me come across. I believe that this had a massive positive impact in both how they received me and also gave me awareness of my communication style.

• Hi John - does the person that you upset know that you are autistic?
    If not, then that may be a good starting place - maybe email / message them, telling them about your autism and how it can cause problems with communication.

I had a habit if upsetting colleagues with the way that I communicated / explained things in a very matter of fact way.
    This was before my diagnosis and was one of the things that prompted me to start looking into autism and getting assessed.

Once I had been formerly diagnosed, I sent an email to my colleagues explaining that I am autistic and how that can make me come across. I believe that this had a massive positive impact in both how they received me and also gave me awareness of my communication style.

Children
  • There a passing acquaintance who arnt aware of my autism, my wife was present and tried to apologise for me but I felt that having to apologise in the first place means I'm having to deny my authentic self,but at the same time I feel devastated that iv hurt someone's feelings.