Sensory Sensitivities

Does any one else suffer from this? I find all my senses are highly tuned, there are some fabrics and surfaces I can't touch, I can't use most cosmetics, laundry and household products, I fond them overwhelming and they either make me wheeze or give me contact dermatitis. Going out is a poroblem because of noise and smells, everybody seems to stink of various laundry products, cosmetics and febreeze, that stuff really takes my breath away.

Another big one is light, I can control it in the house, with curtains, lamps etc, but not outside, I dont' find sunglasses that helpful as they're usually not dark enough, I tried asking an optitian for help and they didn' tunderstand and got shitty with me for asking for reactions lenses with plain glass.

Parents
  • Hi  hope you are well. I completely understand you, my daughter has autism and has multiple sensory difficulties. She is over sensitive to noise, bright lights and certain textures (touch). It would be helpful to see it as your sensory needs. Some autistic people are sensory seekers and some are over sensitive to certain things. There are a number of things that can help you. Have you tried speaking to your consultant or GP regarding this as I was referred to parent sensory group for my daughter and it explained all sensory needs and ways to help them. It is completely not your fault or something that can be helped. Think of it as your body tells you when something is ok or if something is a danger, in some autistic people, your brain with certain sensory triggers, tells you that it’s not okay, and that it’s not safe so this leads to fight, flight or shutdown. I completely understand how you feel and I’m sorry to hear that you struggle with your sensory needs. I really do think it’s worth mentioning it to your GP or consultant as there is ways to help you. It will never make it go away but maybe with support you will be able to find ways to minimise sensory overload. 

• Hi  hope you are well. I completely understand you, my daughter has autism and has multiple sensory difficulties. She is over sensitive to noise, bright lights and certain textures (touch). It would be helpful to see it as your sensory needs. Some autistic people are sensory seekers and some are over sensitive to certain things. There are a number of things that can help you. Have you tried speaking to your consultant or GP regarding this as I was referred to parent sensory group for my daughter and it explained all sensory needs and ways to help them. It is completely not your fault or something that can be helped. Think of it as your body tells you when something is ok or if something is a danger, in some autistic people, your brain with certain sensory triggers, tells you that it’s not okay, and that it’s not safe so this leads to fight, flight or shutdown. I completely understand how you feel and I’m sorry to hear that you struggle with your sensory needs. I really do think it’s worth mentioning it to your GP or consultant as there is ways to help you. It will never make it go away but maybe with support you will be able to find ways to minimise sensory overload. 

Children
No Data