Consistently misplacing my belongings

I was recently diagnosed with ASD, and I struggle a lot with keeping track of my belongings. I'm constantly losing things and end up with duplicates because I can't find the original item, only to discover it later in an unexpected place. It's incredibly frustrating, and I don't understand why people always ask, "Where was the last place you had it?" If I knew that, I wouldn't be searching!

I have a grounding tool that I really rely on, but it seems to have disappeared into thin air. Is this plnkgame.com a common autistic trait, or is it just something unique to me? Also, do you have any tips for preventing myself from losing things in the future?

• I tend to loose track of my glasses. I put them down for some reason, then have no idea where they are. Given that I  am very short sighted and my glasses are rimless and have very thin arms, it is a recipe for disaster. Yes, I have sat on them before now.

• I'm the exact opposite, and maybe a bit uptight, I might check stuff frequently. And I'm guilty of asking people where they have last had their item lol. I ask that to know where to start my search from. I like putting things in the exact same place and orientation as always, but I know that's not really an advice because that's probably the exact thing people like you struggle with. Then maybe your environment is messy and distractive, or maybe you don't have good storage space? 

• My experience is with autistic people. I can look somewhere and not see something, then return later and it's there. My son also autistic loses things so we have multiples of a lot of things. My father I think was autistic and often lost things.

I lost an earring in my previous house and after numerous searches decided one earring was no good. Unfortunately it turned up when we moved so when I lost a different earring I have kept the other in case the other turns up one day.

At home I try to have set places for things which helps.

• It's the fairies, they "borrow" things, if you ask for the item back and then leave the room it will reappear probably in an obvious place you've already looked. Don't ask me why they do this or why they decide to single people out for this treatment, just play nicely, or they'll bring in the goblins and true havoc will ensue. This does not just apply to ASD people, but EVERYONE!

• It's the reason I won't buy one pair of decent spectacles but instead have half a dozen cheap pairs in a drawer...  

I'd go nuts looking for them all the time if I had one pair, whereas this way, whenever I can't remember where I left my specs I just pull another pair from the drawer.. Whenever I find a pair I put them back in the drawer...

My dad used to be always losing his pencil, and when he died they filled a shobox (literally) with pencils that appeared when they went thorugh his stuff.. He never got a diagnosis, but retrospectively it's obvious where I got my "specialness" from..

• I have air tags attached to my keys, wallet and a few other bits and pieces for just this reason Slight smile