Seeing a GP with Suspected Autism

Hi, I have been struggling for a number of years now with certain traits which ultimately lead to huge burn out and affects my children and my partner

I spoke to a GP 2 years ago who referred me to CBT, which I really struggled with as the GP disregarded autism and referred me with social anxiety and depression. I then felt like I only spoke about what would be expected of me and everything I said was almost scripted to tailor that diagnosis. The therapist then wondered if I had OCD which I agreed some traits might seem that way but I am not obsessive with it, I rely on things being a certain way and I would say I do things logically not uncontrollably. But the "OCD" label kept creeping in and I couldn't continue with CBT anymore, I felt like I wasn't being understood.

I've again reached burnout which is effecting my life and my family and booked in to see the GP, but wondering what I should say or do to put my point accross properly and hopefully get a referral for an autism diagnosis. (Which it may not actually be, but I really just want to be able to understand and find myself and get some answers at this point) I really struggle with going to an appointment then downplaying the situation, not getting my point accross, trying to say what I think might be expected but getting it wrong. So any help will be massively appreciated before going to this appointment . 

Parents
  • I would suggest writing some things down before you go. I have tried everything from a list to a letter that I just give the GP to read! If you don't usually write things down for an appointment, try a bullet point list including how you're feeling, what you struggle with, why you think you might be autistic and what you want the outcome of the appointment to be. Sorry if that's a bit obvious and you already do that!

• I would suggest writing some things down before you go. I have tried everything from a list to a letter that I just give the GP to read! If you don't usually write things down for an appointment, try a bullet point list including how you're feeling, what you struggle with, why you think you might be autistic and what you want the outcome of the appointment to be. Sorry if that's a bit obvious and you already do that!

Children
No Data