Workload and pay rise - help!

Hi! 

So today at work we all had a meeting about new business and current projects.

We have been working on a project for a client for the past two months that is moving to the social media marketing stage, so we will need to start writing copy for it.

For context, I handle 3 clients (write all their social media a month in advance, multiple platforms) and then support PR for a colleague with proofing pieces and writing pieces where required.

I was recently told in a review meeting I'm doing a fab job (this will be my third year), holidays increased, but I can't get a pay rise yet because they can't afford it. I'm also vastly underpaid, and they know this.

Here's what I'm getting to.

This current client project, my boss said has a very heavy workload in the long term, and said that it will be enough to hire a new person to handle.

Then straightaway followed up and said I will be the one to be responsible for the work.

What stood out to me, is that they commented it's enough work to hire someone to do, but they won't give me a pay rise? 

It felt quite demoralising to be honest.

I spoke to my parents after work about it and they said I should say something...

Im not sure what to do, whether I should say something?

Also, I find it hard to put things into words, and find it much easier to email, but would that be appropriate?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :-)

Parents
  • They have obviously spent some time in considering the workload as they already worked out it is enough for another employee, so my approach would be to demonstrate your current workload and how taking on another project would not leave enough hours for any to be completed so they need to let you know which ones will be dropped in order for you to achieve the quality of work you are currently supplying.

Work out how many hours you spend on each task - per project/customer - every week and what time you spend on other tasks (general admin, team meetings, reviews, training etc) and use this to demonstrate your capacity issue.

Highlight that you want to be able to perform the best you can at a high standard but that adding to your workload means something has to give - either the quality of work or the projects you can work on at the same time.

Quantifying it in a way they can understand should highlight that you are calling them out on their BS and that if they expect you to start working beyond the levels you currently are then they better get liberal with the motivation (pay).

I would already start job hunting so you find what competitors are offering and quite possibly secure a position that pays a lot more than you currently earn.

This way that companies keep pay rises down is extremely widespread and your best approach is to appeal to their better nature and logic before pulling the "I've been offered another position at a competitor" response (when you are ready for this of course).

It requires bravery and calling them out politely but firmly, but has worked every time I tried it ( 4 different companies to date).

Good luck

• Thank you for your reply.

To add, I'm not really sure they have had much time to think of it since there are only 5 of us and we started this project a few weeks ago. I think my boss sees me as someone who gets the work done to a really high standard, therefore I can be trusted right away with any new business. 

I've sent an email today to arrange a meeting to discuss my responsibilities on the new project, support for my current workload, and the elephant in the room which is me being chronically underpaid. 

I am very nervous about hearing back and having the meeting, but it has to be done. 

• Thank you for your reply.

To add, I'm not really sure they have had much time to think of it since there are only 5 of us and we started this project a few weeks ago. I think my boss sees me as someone who gets the work done to a really high standard, therefore I can be trusted right away with any new business. 

I've sent an email today to arrange a meeting to discuss my responsibilities on the new project, support for my current workload, and the elephant in the room which is me being chronically underpaid. 

I am very nervous about hearing back and having the meeting, but it has to be done. 

Children
  • the elephant in the room which is me being chronically underpaid. 

My approach to this would be to get online to job sites like jobsearch and over the course of a few days build up a profile of the rate for your current role.

Ideally print out a batch if these positions where it mentions the salary and build up the evidence that your skill set commands £x per year and that you know where to look for the jobs.

This will make theemployer realise that you know your worth and how to realise it so they will know that they are at risk of losing you. You have to commit mentally to walking out to go to another role if they refuse to see this (or just accept it and stay where you are).

When going through the meeting to talk about the responsibilities, tell them that you believe you need to review your salary before considering accepting the extra workload. Also point out that you need to get their input into selecting which tasks to prioritise as the extra workload will require less hours spent on the current project.

I would suggest being firm on not accepting unpaid overtime - poor management will load you up with work until stuff starts to slip so be proactive and tell them when you see it about to happen and make them take responsibility for what will have to suffer as a result of their choices.

if you can, get someone to roleplay the meeting with you several times at a minumum until you get practice in getting the questions out without being timid. You probably script stuff as an autist so this seems the best way to prepare for a difficult meeting.

Good luck