Do I get my 6 year old son officially diagnosed???

Hi, I have just joined the group, and in need of some advice, a quick overview of what we have in place for my child so far 

Henry is in Mainstream school with a 1:1 support teacher

he has a occupational therapist that visits him 

he has a speech and language therapist 

he’s been seen  by the school child psychologist 

he has just recently been given a EHCP, his needs are social, emotional and emotional dysregulation, which can result in outburst of anger towards his peers and teachers, hitting, kicking, throwing chairs and equipment 

the last 2 years since Henry started in his reception class at school have been beyond stressful and upsetting, a constant battle between myself and the headteacher, staff and the school policies, as the school were not acknowledging or addressing his needs, it’s been a massive learning curve these last 2 years for the school as they were not exactly SEN friendly. 
I considered changing schools many times but Henry always wanted to go and he was forming friendships and a positive relationship with his 1:1 so he stayed. 

we have been waiting for well over a year now to get an appointment for his initial social communication appointment to get a diagnosis, the letter arrived 5 days ago, I am now unsure if I want that official diagnosis, or as I call it “labelling” 

I don’t want that officials diagnosis to potentially affect his life, as people can  be prejudice and have misinformed views of what autism is

So I was hoping for advice whether I should or shouldn’t do it, and if any other parent is in the Same position ?? 
i have spoken to WESAIL, WISENDSS they have said it would work in Henry’s favour to do it, but im Still not 100% sure 

thank you for taking the time to read my message 

Lindsay 

Parents
  • Please get the diagnosis.

All of these support things are exceptional to get without the diagnosis, but if he needs support in the future, a label is really helpful.

The paperwork needs to be in order for most government funding, and a diagnosis is a really good way of doing it. This is about him getting support in his later school life and his working life. Which he won't get without a diagnosis.

All it is is a way to frame his differences, he'll still know he's different if you don't, he just won't have the support in place for it.

He also won't have as much protection from discrimination if you don't get the diagnosis. People discriminating against 'being weird' is not a protected characteristic, discrimination due to autistic traits is. 

I hope this persuades  you that the benefits far outweigh any perceived risks, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have if you have further questions.

• Please get the diagnosis.

All of these support things are exceptional to get without the diagnosis, but if he needs support in the future, a label is really helpful.

The paperwork needs to be in order for most government funding, and a diagnosis is a really good way of doing it. This is about him getting support in his later school life and his working life. Which he won't get without a diagnosis.

All it is is a way to frame his differences, he'll still know he's different if you don't, he just won't have the support in place for it.

He also won't have as much protection from discrimination if you don't get the diagnosis. People discriminating against 'being weird' is not a protected characteristic, discrimination due to autistic traits is. 

I hope this persuades  you that the benefits far outweigh any perceived risks, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have if you have further questions.

Children
No Data