Things you did that looking back make your realise you were autistic

I was only recently diagnosed a few years ago, and I've been looking back and thinking about things I did when I was a child that were definitely signs of being on the spectrum. 

I went through a very intense phase of eating everything with a spork, especially one meal in particular - rye bread with hummus on, topped with a little bit of green Tabasco sauce. This was after my enlightening experience of going to Leeds Festival for my birthday when I was 12 and camping over the weekend, having eaten everything using a spork. 

That and eating any noodles or pasta with one of those spinning Pot Noodle forks.... good times. :-)

Looking back, I can realise why my mum definitely thought I was autistic. 

I'd love to know if anyone has any similar things that they liked/did that looking back you realise were signs you were autistic. 

Parents
  • Great discussion!

There have been lots of clues about me being autistic, however there are a few main ones:

•  I have been and will always be an avid observer of human interaction- I much preferred to watch people chat or play rather than engage with them.
    •  I have always been a very deep and analytical thinker- often questioning the meaning of life at a young age.
    • Lots of vocal stims as a child 
    • Love of learning- my interests have also been revolved around collecting facts and information.
    • Strengths in written communication- I have always been a very natural writer 
    • Attention to detail and pattern recognition- I used to memorise car number plates as a child 

And many more….

• only recently diagnosed and everything that you say makes sense, i thought that was "normal" but never understood why i felt so different from everybody else

•  in addition adhd was blurring the lines, the constant mental chatter ( i thought that was normal and everyon had a narrator) the social anxiety,
    • the masking and learning what is acceptable or not, 
    • thinking " you need to smile now" when meeting people
    • my inability to be diplomatic and very direct
    • me nor working out the subtleties of what someone says and reading between the lines.
    • needing to have very clear objectives and deadlines, a structure otherwise total paralysis ( adhd kicks in)
    • fixating on previous boyfriends, hobbies, intense thirst for learning EVERYTHING about someone, something, anything
    • reading at an earlier age and seeing patterns everywhere
    • dislike of certain color combination
    • sensory overload and meltdowns
    • moodiness, depression, outburst, sensitivity made even worse in adolescence and at puberty
    • zero filters (but learnt to hold back)
    • operating on a 1-2-1 with friends and overwhelmed in large groups
    • feeling lonely and misunderstood
    • eating the same breakfast every day and drinking from the same cup  designated for tea / or coffee
    • eating with specific forks and knives ( need matching too)
    • doing things in a specific sequence and if not is causing me intense distress
  • Hi. Just reading your list with interest. I too am very into things matching.

Also you mention colour combination and I wonder if that is similar to me. Colours in clothes in particular have to look good together. I often find it difficult to look at people on TV if tops and trousers/skirts don't go or ties with shirts. I am very particular with my own clothes, even the socks.

• Hi. Just reading your list with interest. I too am very into things matching.

Also you mention colour combination and I wonder if that is similar to me. Colours in clothes in particular have to look good together. I often find it difficult to look at people on TV if tops and trousers/skirts don't go or ties with shirts. I am very particular with my own clothes, even the socks.

Children
No Data