Things you did that looking back make your realise you were autistic

I was only recently diagnosed a few years ago, and I've been looking back and thinking about things I did when I was a child that were definitely signs of being on the spectrum. 

I went through a very intense phase of eating everything with a spork, especially one meal in particular - rye bread with hummus on, topped with a little bit of green Tabasco sauce. This was after my enlightening experience of going to Leeds Festival for my birthday when I was 12 and camping over the weekend, having eaten everything using a spork. 

That and eating any noodles or pasta with one of those spinning Pot Noodle forks.... good times. :-)

Looking back, I can realise why my mum definitely thought I was autistic. 

I'd love to know if anyone has any similar things that they liked/did that looking back you realise were signs you were autistic. 

Parents
  • Let's see.

Selective mutism as a child.

Having no interest in food up to being about 8 years old - even now I can fast for up to 7 days without any real distress, though I do now find food interesting.

Acute reactions to some textures - synthetic fibre cloth especially.

Off-scale reaction to some smells, perfume and cigarette smoke in particular.

Not being able to follow conversations if there is background noise.

Not finding any form of sport remotely interesting, indeed hating that it is foisted on me so often in this inexplicably sport-obsessed society.

Preferring to have a tooth (that was not hurting me) extracted over going to school.

• Let's see.

Selective mutism as a child.

Having no interest in food up to being about 8 years old - even now I can fast for up to 7 days without any real distress, though I do now find food interesting.

Acute reactions to some textures - synthetic fibre cloth especially.

Off-scale reaction to some smells, perfume and cigarette smoke in particular.

Not finding any form of sport remotely interesting, indeed hating that it is foisted on me so often in this inexplicably sport-obsessed society.

Preferring to have a tooth (that was not hurting me) extracted over going to school.

Children
  • Acute reactions to some textures - synthetic fibre cloth especially

Even now the memory of the texture of my parents’ 1970s sofa makes me feel ill.

This is an interesting one. I’ve always had the same problem, making places like pubs almost impossible for me. I could never understand why nobody else seemed to be struggling with it.