How to buy a house

I'm hoping someone can help me to understand if I'll be able to buy the house in living in.

Sorry. I'm low functioning and don't understand technical things to do with money or business.

We've lived in this house for most of my life, ever since I can remember and I feel completely safe and happy here. It's in the country, on its own and it is surrounded by fields and nature. There's no noise.

The house is from the 18th century, it's not in great condition, it does need work and lately I've been getting out and trying to do different things. It's not easy as I struggle with mobility but I like to try.

I can't work because of my health. But I really really want to buy this house, not just for my parents because they are older now and in poor health but also because it means I'll be safe in the future. We privately rent and we are friendly with the landlady. She is very old and I've been really worried in case she passes away anytime soon. I don't want to live anywhere else or worse end up in a mental hospital - that has happened to me before and it affects me even now like an ongoing nightmare.

Is there anything I can do to try and buy this house? I'm on benefits but I don't know if that will mean I can't buy the house.

I want to ask the bank or the landlady but I have no idea what to say and I worry in case they say no.

Is it possible for me to buy the house on benefits? 

I want to be here forever and I want my parents to be happy and safe in their final years.

Please if someone could help explain it to me I would be really grateful.

• I understand how much stability of home can mean for mental health and I'm sorry you are finding this so stressfull.

The answer to your question depend on three things:

a) Does the land lady want to sell?  She may not wish to and the only way to know is ask.

b) How much is it worth?

c) How much can you afford?

I don't know of anyone who has managed to buy a house on benefits.  Benefits will cover rents but not mortgages.  And mortgage lenders generally only lend to people in regular employment earning enough to cover the monthly repayments.

If you or your family have other money available to you - an inheritance, savings or retirement lump or something, would this allow you to buy it "cash"?  Then, it's a simple question of do you have the amount the house is worth and the lady (assuming she wants to sell) will accept for it.

• I'm very sorry to hear about your situation; it sounds hard. I'm 35 and bought my house three years ago, so I understand how hard it is to deal with all the paperwork and processes yourself.

When I bought my house, I had similar worries and struggles. I didn't know where to start or what paperwork I needed. That's why I turned to real estate agents for help. They made the whole process much easier, guiding me through everything and getting the paperwork done quickly. I would recommend calling https://southportestateagents.co.uk/ , they could really help you through buying a home.

• I hate to put you off but you have no real chance. Even if you live in one of the cheapest parts of the country you are looking at a minimum of £150,000 to buy a house. You would need atleast a deposit of 10% and a 25 year mortgage, that would be about £900 permonth for 25 years. You your whole family income might cover that but without a good employment and credit history, and a job you have no chance of getting a mortgage. Of course that house could be worth £500,000, or even more it is has land? I am afraid life is difficult for millions who can't buy a house at the moment.

Rob

• Buying a house is a very difficult thing to do, even if you have a good income.

If you are on benefits and don't work and have no wealth then there is probably no chance of you buying this house or any house. I'm sorry.

• if they are on benefits they likely dont have more than 5k as i remember 5k being the limit to your savings on benefits and if you went higher they cancelled your benefits. although i think the savings limit is now up to 12k on benefits since i was on...

but yeah, no lender will give a mortgage to a person on benefits... benefits dont cover mortgage and a lender needs to see pay slips and proof of income and work and the mortgage is actually scaled off the work income you recieve.... so no work = no mortgage.

• If a mortgage is needed (ie, the OP doesn't have the funds to purchase outright), then you also need to consider surveyor fees. The OP mentioned that the property isn't in great shape, so that could be a major issue for a mortgage lender.

Without knowing the OP's financial status, but assuming that it's not great (ie, living off of benefits), then I'm afraid that this is a non starter. 

Of course, their financial situation may be much better - such as considerable savings (£100,000's) or maybe an inheritance.

What I am conscious of is giving the OP and false hope, and based on the information shared , I am not too optimistic on the this. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Is it possible for me to buy the house on benefits? 

That is a difficult question to answer as you make no mention of your savings and income.

The house will have a value which you can get an idea of on the rightmove website (look for the valuation of your property option and enter your address) which will give you a value most likely in the hundreds of thousands of pounds.

If you have that much money in the bank then you can speak to the current owner and see if they are willing to sell and they will go away and work out what they think it is worth and you can negotiate to agree a price.

When you buy you have to pay solicitors fees (probably £1,000 plus) and stamp duty if the property is worth more than £250,000 - a guide to how much it will cost is here: https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-tax/residential-property-rates

If you don't have that much money then you need a deposit of at least 10% plus money for the solicitors fees and stamp duty, plus probably a fee for arranging a mortgage (typically less than £1,000).

You would then need to speak to a mortgage company, find out how much it would cost monthly and provide them with proof of your savings plus income to be able to pay the monthly cost of the mortgage.

The last thing you will need is money for the moving in, making the repairs, possibly decorating and furnishing the house. I would expect this to come to several thousands from the condition of hte property you mention, but get quotes for this before buying as they can be very expensive (eg a new roof is likey to cost £20,000-£40,000).

I hope this helps

• Buying a house is very expensive, you need savings to put a deposit down for the mortgage, usually tens of thousands these days. Then the mortgage payment can easily be over £1000 per month, usually for around 30 years. A lot of budgeting and bank websites have mortgage calculators so you can get an idea of what the payments might be (you have to know how much the house is worth) and there are also calculators which show how much they would be willing to lend you. Solicitors fees are very expensive as well I’ve just paid £800 for a solicitor to send 2 forms to the Land Registry! Change is difficult for us autistics/NDs especially something as big as moving house but I’m afraid that some things in life are not able to last forever. If the only money you have is from benefits and you don’t have hundreds of thousands of pounds in savings I’m afraid it will be near impossible for you to buy a house

• depends if she wants to sell it. if she doesnt then you cant buy it, she may want to pass it on to her kids, and they will become your landlord.

but if you talk with her you can casually just ask if shes ever willing to sell it and then tell her youd be interested and ask the price that shed want. i think tenants actually have some rights to offer first if it ever does get put on sale so i think you would have the right to first offer on it.

but it depends if you can afford it... how much money you have if you can cash buy it... if you cant cash buy it youd need enough for a deposit for a mortgage on it... but for a mortgage you need a job and a income to satisfy the lender. plus the property would also have to be lendable on and the lenders often find fault with anything.