Alcohol Cravings

Hi everyone, 

Hope you're all wel! I was diagnosed with autism in 2023 and they suspect I have ADHD too. I've been on anti depressants since I was 19 (24 now) and recently decided to finally become sober. Throughout university I used alcohol to cope and deal with feelings of lonliness and a lack of understanding as to why I didn't feel involved. 

The alcohol made me fun until my dependence went up and I lost friends/relationships/etc from my behaviour when under the influence. Its been a long time coming and I am so glad I have taken the powerful decision to stop, but the past few weeks I have been having massive cravings. Not bodily more just thinking about it a lot. I stood at the wine aisle in Tescos for about 20 minutes just thinking a few days ago and managed to leave without buying any. I am doing so so well, I have two jobs, I workout and I'm the most secure I've felt in my life, but I still feel the need for it! I have been burnout and in a depressive episode for a few weeks so I know that has a lot do with it, but waiting for it to pass seems like it's taking ages!

Any advice/similar experiences/supportive words would be much appreciated!!!

Parents
  • Yeah, I've had similar problems in the past. It's tough, but it's  got to come from you. But a good step is to remind yourself of tomorrow. When you stand on the wine aisle next time, remind yourself the day after you'll have a nasty hangover and will regret it. Do you really want that? Or do you want to start the day feeling refreshed, doing some exercise, and having a cup of tea?

That's what I remind myself of. How I'll feel much better the day after, instead of being so hangover getting up is tough work.

Ultimately, drinking will just make your depression and burnout worse.

So, focus on positive things! If you're tired, have a rest day at the weekend. Chillout all day, watch some films, order some food you like etc. It also helps if you replace one addiction with a healthier one. I drink a lot of tea, for example, which gives a good kick!

• Yeah, I've had similar problems in the past. It's tough, but it's  got to come from you. But a good step is to remind yourself of tomorrow. When you stand on the wine aisle next time, remind yourself the day after you'll have a nasty hangover and will regret it. Do you really want that? Or do you want to start the day feeling refreshed, doing some exercise, and having a cup of tea?

That's what I remind myself of. How I'll feel much better the day after, instead of being so hangover getting up is tough work.

Ultimately, drinking will just make your depression and burnout worse.

So, focus on positive things! If you're tired, have a rest day at the weekend. Chillout all day, watch some films, order some food you like etc. It also helps if you replace one addiction with a healthier one. I drink a lot of tea, for example, which gives a good kick!

Children
  • That's a great point, I often try to remember the headaches and stomach aches afterwords, usually helps me rethink things. I was wanting one last night and instead went on the electric bike for 30 minutes instead and then I found I was too tired to drink which is a good method as well. It just takes a little more positive thinking than usual, hopefully it will pass soon!