Feeling confused and lost after Autism diagnosis

I’ve always struggled in life with certain aspects but found coping mechanisms to get round the problems and the various mental health issues I developed. But having recently been diagnosed with Autism at the age of 43, following my 16yr old son's diagnosis 8 months ago; I thought that now I had a cause / label for why I am the way I am it would be clear / easier and I could better understand myself; but now I feel more confused than before and notice things more and feel anger and frustration, I also don’t want to use it as an excuse. It that normal?  

Parents
  • Hi Danny M, 

I agree with the others on this thread, both as a late-diagnosed autistic person myself and as a qualified counsellor, supporting autistic people. One thing I personally would put forward is considering accepting yourself as you are. Danny is autistic=Danny is Danny. You are one unique human being, you have made it to 43 with many successes to list, I am sure..being a parent is one for example. Well done you. There's no denying some things come harder to us but we each have our individual strengths too...

• Hi Danny M, 

I agree with the others on this thread, both as a late-diagnosed autistic person myself and as a qualified counsellor, supporting autistic people. One thing I personally would put forward is considering accepting yourself as you are. Danny is autistic=Danny is Danny. You are one unique human being, you have made it to 43 with many successes to list, I am sure..being a parent is one for example. Well done you. There's no denying some things come harder to us but we each have our individual strengths too...

Children
No Data