Help for young autistic adults regarding studying and work.

Hello,

I am a late diagnosed autistic (last September when I was 61) and I have a query which I am hoping others may be able to help me with. 

My 18-year-old son left school last year and had applied to York University to study mathematics. Throughout the process we keep asking him if he was sure because we knew he found it difficult to mix socially and we were worried that he wouldn’t be able to cope on his own. Long story short we dropped him off at his halls of residence with supplies etc but within two weeks I had to drive up there and retrieve him because he had not engaged in any way with either his fellow students or the Uni itself. He wouldn’t go into the kitchen to cook himself food if other students were there and consequently lived off his dry food supplies. Now he is home but has not found employment. To be honest although he has sent off his CV to places I’m not entirely sure he would be able to engage well enough to retain a job. 

He has finally conceded that he is probably autistic (he refused to entertain the idea previously to this experience in which demands exceeded his capacity to cope) and we have now put in his application for an autism assessment with the NHS but we all know how long that can take to process. In the meantime, (and he is considering applying for a course at the uni nearest to us which means he wouldn’t have to live away from home) is anyone aware of any resources available to assist my son even though he currently does not have an official diagnosis? We live on the Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire border area.

Many thanks in anticipation of your responses 

Brian

Parents
  • Hello Brian. Yesterday, I shared a video here about my university experiences. I wish I had known that I was autistic all those years ago (I was diagnosed last year, aged 41). I'm sorry I don't know of any specific resources in your local area (I live in Worcester, and people travel miles to visit ASPIE - a centre for autistic people). My simple suggestion would be to encourage your son to attend student societies that relate to his interests. This is hypocritical advice, as I didn't do this. However, my best friend, who I met at university, is as obsessed with music as I am, and I now realise how important special interests can be for autistic people in terms of starting and maintaining friendships. 

• Hello Brian. Yesterday, I shared a video here about my university experiences. I wish I had known that I was autistic all those years ago (I was diagnosed last year, aged 41). I'm sorry I don't know of any specific resources in your local area (I live in Worcester, and people travel miles to visit ASPIE - a centre for autistic people). My simple suggestion would be to encourage your son to attend student societies that relate to his interests. This is hypocritical advice, as I didn't do this. However, my best friend, who I met at university, is as obsessed with music as I am, and I now realise how important special interests can be for autistic people in terms of starting and maintaining friendships. 

Children