Private vs NHS - thoughts?

I have my ASD assessment booked. The NHS waiting list in my area is years and as I am now 36 and struggling with depression and anxiety I think may be related to masking I just don’t feel I can wait that long.

I am incredibly fortunate that through my husband’s job we have private healthcare which will cover a private assessment.

Unfortunately I’ve had a few people tell me that ‘you get what you pay for’ and that private assessors will pretty much diagnose anyone. This is making me really worried and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Parents
  • Unfortunately I’ve had a few people tell me that ‘you get what you pay for’ and that private assessors will pretty much diagnose anyone. This is making me really worried and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Why?  A diagnosis, is a diagnosis.  No need to worry.  the fact you asked for an assessment means you probably have need of one.  If you get someone who diagnoses you as having ASD, then mission accomplished. ;)

But like I say on every one of these threads, a diagnosis is a piece of paper.  A diagnosis is not a cure or even a sticky plaster to put on your ASD.  It gives you some extra options with some decisions, but a lot of times people will ignore it or not know how to interpret it.  I have been in hospital and they have no clue what my needs were and that's doctors and nurses in a major hospital.  So if you are thinking getting a diagnosis is a magical cure for all that ails you, you are going to be somewhat disappointed.

The main thing it gives you is the means to force people to comply to the various acts of law if they discriminate against you, but doing that can also be a doubled edged sword.  I know of several people that were blacklisted by companies after making a big hoohah over treatment in a workplace.  they then found it impossible to find another job in that sector.  So they attended job interviews but were never suitable for them, ever again.  So when you wield that power, be very aware that it can come back to bite you in the posterior.  I myself was blacklisted by all the job agencies within my region for health issues.  No one ever said to me I was blacklisted, but I also never got any job from any of them after my last one.

• Unfortunately I’ve had a few people tell me that ‘you get what you pay for’ and that private assessors will pretty much diagnose anyone. This is making me really worried and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Why?  A diagnosis, is a diagnosis.  No need to worry.  the fact you asked for an assessment means you probably have need of one.  If you get someone who diagnoses you as having ASD, then mission accomplished. ;)

But like I say on every one of these threads, a diagnosis is a piece of paper.  A diagnosis is not a cure or even a sticky plaster to put on your ASD.  It gives you some extra options with some decisions, but a lot of times people will ignore it or not know how to interpret it.  I have been in hospital and they have no clue what my needs were and that's doctors and nurses in a major hospital.  So if you are thinking getting a diagnosis is a magical cure for all that ails you, you are going to be somewhat disappointed.

The main thing it gives you is the means to force people to comply to the various acts of law if they discriminate against you, but doing that can also be a doubled edged sword.  I know of several people that were blacklisted by companies after making a big hoohah over treatment in a workplace.  they then found it impossible to find another job in that sector.  So they attended job interviews but were never suitable for them, ever again.  So when you wield that power, be very aware that it can come back to bite you in the posterior.  I myself was blacklisted by all the job agencies within my region for health issues.  No one ever said to me I was blacklisted, but I also never got any job from any of them after my last one.

Children