Private vs NHS - thoughts?

I have my ASD assessment booked. The NHS waiting list in my area is years and as I am now 36 and struggling with depression and anxiety I think may be related to masking I just don’t feel I can wait that long.

I am incredibly fortunate that through my husband’s job we have private healthcare which will cover a private assessment.

Unfortunately I’ve had a few people tell me that ‘you get what you pay for’ and that private assessors will pretty much diagnose anyone. This is making me really worried and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Parents
  • I am incredibly fortunate that through my husband’s job we have private healthcare which will cover a private assessment

I have private healthcare via my work too but it explicitly excludes autism support, diagnosis or treatment which is rather poor given that both my employer and the insurer make such a big play of neurodiversity. Hypocrites.

Unfortunately I’ve had a few people tell me that ‘you get what you pay for’ and that private assessors will pretty much diagnose anyone. This is making me really worried and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

I did worry about this but the psychologist who led my assessment went to great pains to make it clear that she used the NHS recommended “gold standard” assessment process, she also works for the NHS and the process was much more extensive than some I’ve read of on here, so I trust the result. That was in Glasgow incidentally.

• I am incredibly fortunate that through my husband’s job we have private healthcare which will cover a private assessment

I have private healthcare via my work too but it explicitly excludes autism support, diagnosis or treatment which is rather poor given that both my employer and the insurer make such a big play of neurodiversity. Hypocrites.

I did worry about this but the psychologist who led my assessment went to great pains to make it clear that she used the NHS recommended “gold standard” assessment process, she also works for the NHS and the process was much more extensive than some I’ve read of on here, so I trust the result. That was in Glasgow incidentally.

Children