Private vs NHS - thoughts?

I have my ASD assessment booked. The NHS waiting list in my area is years and as I am now 36 and struggling with depression and anxiety I think may be related to masking I just don’t feel I can wait that long.

I am incredibly fortunate that through my husband’s job we have private healthcare which will cover a private assessment.

Unfortunately I’ve had a few people tell me that ‘you get what you pay for’ and that private assessors will pretty much diagnose anyone. This is making me really worried and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Parents
  • Hi LittleHouse

I am not sure if this is the way you would want to do it but here goes. Because of extended waiting times with NHS I requested a Right to choose pathway for my son (age 9). I did have to push a little and also gave the Gp all the relevant information and forms. Right to choose is everyone’s right for treatment/assessment so don’t be fobbed off by a lazy Gp who doesn’t want to spend the time filling out the forms. I found Clinical Partners who are online and affiliated with the NHS. My worry with a private diagnosis was that sometimes it is not taken seriously when it comes to support. My son does need a EHCP in place and some limited help so that’s why I went down the route of Right to choose. I have just been informed that the wait for this is 3-6 months as opposed to 3 years on the NHS. Now this has been accepted I intend to use the pathway also for myself 

Hope that is of some help to you and best of luck

• Hi LittleHouse

I am not sure if this is the way you would want to do it but here goes. Because of extended waiting times with NHS I requested a Right to choose pathway for my son (age 9). I did have to push a little and also gave the Gp all the relevant information and forms. Right to choose is everyone’s right for treatment/assessment so don’t be fobbed off by a lazy Gp who doesn’t want to spend the time filling out the forms. I found Clinical Partners who are online and affiliated with the NHS. My worry with a private diagnosis was that sometimes it is not taken seriously when it comes to support. My son does need a EHCP in place and some limited help so that’s why I went down the route of Right to choose. I have just been informed that the wait for this is 3-6 months as opposed to 3 years on the NHS. Now this has been accepted I intend to use the pathway also for myself 

Hope that is of some help to you and best of luck

Children