Stimming

Can you explain what stimming is in a simple way?

I don't know if I stim

I know I make a noise with my breathing through my nose, but I don't know why I do it. 

When I'm in bed I like to rub my foot on the sheets. I know this makes me relax and calms me. Is that a stim?

I used to suck my thumb and touch a cold pillow with the back of my hand when I was a child. I know this relaxed me when I was younger

What else could me a stim? 

Parents
  • Stimming is gory for stimulation. It’s is self stimulation, usually the self stimulation is to provide some relief for whatever stress the individual is experiencing. Self stimulating by moving hands or legs up and down may release dopamine in certain areas of the brain. This may be the reason for the phenomenon of stimming. There is evidence that autism may be down to imbalances in dopamine receptors and/or activity. 

• Stimming is gory for stimulation. It’s is self stimulation, usually the self stimulation is to provide some relief for whatever stress the individual is experiencing. Self stimulating by moving hands or legs up and down may release dopamine in certain areas of the brain. This may be the reason for the phenomenon of stimming. There is evidence that autism may be down to imbalances in dopamine receptors and/or activity. 

Children
No Data