Scuba diving

Hi,

I’m an undiagnosed autistic who’s looking to go scuba diving. This isn’t something that will affect it particularly however I have what I believe to be an autistic shutdown on my record from 2019, but at the time it was written off as an absence seizure. All test results came back fine but the diving doctor said there was too much neurological concern over what it could be if not a seizure.

I know this is a very specific query but does anybody have any advice on what to do? You can’t commercially dive until at least 10 years after a ‘seizure’ and I was hoping to start much sooner.

Parents
  • Depends on whether you are willing to take your life in your own hands.

I have asthma, severe enough that I should never have dived in my entire life, but at University an opportunity presented to learn to dive.  So I did. I signed off the medical questionaire with no illnesses.  I am a qualified scuba diver with a bunch of PADI and BSAC tickets, can do some levels of technical diving and have dived solo (which is generally not acceptable to most divers), dived in caves (solo) and did a technical gas course which resulted in me being bounced from my University club (because I was no longer diving at the same level as them).  I am very autistic and I take everything to the nth degree, so in reality I am a safer scuba diver than most as I read and practiced everything over and over.  I did safety drills blindfolded in the pool repeatedly while with the Uni club.  They knew I was different to the average diver who has a problem at 30m ends up in a tin can getting blown down for 6 hours.  I did the SDI solo diver course and never looked back.  Nowadays it's not even considered advanced.  Most technical diving is essentially solo.

So I don't do it now.  It was a chapter of my life.  Some of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.  I dived in Malta in the Blue Lagoon on Gozo, which was exquisite.  I dived in some dirty cave in the south of England, introduced by a guy i met on a course.  I only did that once as it was really cold.  But I had the realisation towards the end that when you know you have something wrong with you, there are limits to how far you should push things.  I got to see things many others never will and I am happy with having done that.

So in your case, why not start with a try a dive session.  Many shops will do you a short dive in shallow water (a swimming pool) with an instructor.  maybe 2m max.  See how it goes.  You may not even like it.  Breathing air through a hose while underwater is very different to breathing air on the surface.  There is an element of stress to diving.  You have to manage your life systems and you need to be self sufficient while doing it.  not everyone can handle that stress that is NT, let alone ND.  If you like you taster session, then do a second one.  If you like the second one too, maybe try for a PADI Open Water.

I'm not advocating crazy behaviour, but you're an adult and you are able to make decisions.  You can choose to do things or choose not to do them.

• Depends on whether you are willing to take your life in your own hands.

I have asthma, severe enough that I should never have dived in my entire life, but at University an opportunity presented to learn to dive.  So I did. I signed off the medical questionaire with no illnesses.  I am a qualified scuba diver with a bunch of PADI and BSAC tickets, can do some levels of technical diving and have dived solo (which is generally not acceptable to most divers), dived in caves (solo) and did a technical gas course which resulted in me being bounced from my University club (because I was no longer diving at the same level as them).  I am very autistic and I take everything to the nth degree, so in reality I am a safer scuba diver than most as I read and practiced everything over and over.  I did safety drills blindfolded in the pool repeatedly while with the Uni club.  They knew I was different to the average diver who has a problem at 30m ends up in a tin can getting blown down for 6 hours.  I did the SDI solo diver course and never looked back.  Nowadays it's not even considered advanced.  Most technical diving is essentially solo.

So I don't do it now.  It was a chapter of my life.  Some of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.  I dived in Malta in the Blue Lagoon on Gozo, which was exquisite.  I dived in some dirty cave in the south of England, introduced by a guy i met on a course.  I only did that once as it was really cold.  But I had the realisation towards the end that when you know you have something wrong with you, there are limits to how far you should push things.  I got to see things many others never will and I am happy with having done that.

So in your case, why not start with a try a dive session.  Many shops will do you a short dive in shallow water (a swimming pool) with an instructor.  maybe 2m max.  See how it goes.  You may not even like it.  Breathing air through a hose while underwater is very different to breathing air on the surface.  There is an element of stress to diving.  You have to manage your life systems and you need to be self sufficient while doing it.  not everyone can handle that stress that is NT, let alone ND.  If you like you taster session, then do a second one.  If you like the second one too, maybe try for a PADI Open Water.

I'm not advocating crazy behaviour, but you're an adult and you are able to make decisions.  You can choose to do things or choose not to do them.

Children
No Data