What does it mean to be neurodiversity affirmative?

I happened upon this recent article, on the website of The British Psychological Society, and thought it was well worth sharing.

https://www.bps.org.uk/psychologist/what-does-it-mean-be-neurodiversity-affirmative

Parents Reply
  • I think it can be, when you consider that there are people who are unable to do common tasks. I feel like my problem is that people sense that you accomplish the same things a different way, and they can't stand that. They think you're bizarre, and they will have nothing to do with you, even though you can perform all of the same overall activities.

Children
  • intense sense of compassion for other people with problems, and I'm keen to meet others having oddities about them

That’s great! Such qualities are certainly very useful in our autistic community.

• I've been through so much, I feel like it's cultivated a really intense sense of compassion for other people with problems, and I'm keen to meet others having oddities about them. To me, where some trait might have confused me before, now I'm curious to ask what it's like and to just sit and talk and find common ground.It would have helped me tremendously if anyone had ever explained to me what was so offensive about me, but all I got was insults and cruelty.

• Yes I completely understand what you mean.

I feel like my problem is that people sense that you accomplish the same things a different way, and they can't stand that.

Quite often people just can’t understand or accept differences including the fact that there are different ways of doing things. This is one of the main reasons why the Neurodiversity Paradigm and Movement is so so important!