What does it mean to be neurodiversity affirmative?

I happened upon this recent article, on the website of The British Psychological Society, and thought it was well worth sharing.

https://www.bps.org.uk/psychologist/what-does-it-mean-be-neurodiversity-affirmative

Parents
  • I see so many parallels to the LGBT community and the struggles against a world that refuses to understand, refuses to listen and refuses to take us seriously
    There are so many commonalities between our autistic community and other minority groups including the LGBT community. For example, in terms of rights movements and also historically (and currently) pathologising our autistic way of being.

Although I see your points, homosexuality was here and is still in other countries illegal.

Women have been raped for being gay and people killed, both by authorities and members of the public.

People were outed and their lives destroyed in this country up until very recent times.

It's a very different kettle of fish, in my experience.

• I see so many parallels to the LGBT community and the struggles against a world that refuses to understand, refuses to listen and refuses to take us seriously
    There are so many commonalities between our autistic community and other minority groups including the LGBT community. For example, in terms of rights movements and also historically (and currently) pathologising our autistic way of being.

Although I see your points, homosexuality was here and is still in other countries illegal.

Women have been raped for being gay and people killed, both by authorities and members of the public.

People were outed and their lives destroyed in this country up until very recent times.

Children
  • Although I see your points, homosexuality was here and is still in other countries illegal.

People were outed and their lives destroyed up until very recent times.

Yes I agree but as your points show the LGBT community has experienced (and sometimes still continues to experience) significant harm and discrimination.

This is not to say that our autistic community experiences such significant consequences however, we are still a minority group fighting against injustice and being unnecessarily pathologised.