What do you work as?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently exploring various job opportunities and considering a career in labour, particularly as an electrician. I'm fascinated by the idea of working with my hands and finding a sense of accomplishment in a tangible result. However, I'm curious to know about your experiences. What do you do for work, and how did you find your way into your current profession?

If anyone here works as an electrician or in a similar field, I would love to hear about your journey. What drew you to this line of work, and how do you find it suits your strengths and preferences as an autistic individual?

Feel free to share any advice, challenges you've faced, or even just what a typical day looks like. Let's build a supportive space where we can learn from each other and offer guidance to those who might be considering similar career paths.

Parents
  • I am in that ball park but am a IT/electronic engineer. Orginally trained in the late 80's  but the electronic stuff changed massivley when I was out of the industry for about 5 years in the 90s. After a while I slipped into fixing printers, laptops, desktops and servers. Now just fix photocopiers which are pretty complex. I visit about 5 customers a day, almost all schools. I go to several 'special' schools where I am worried they wont let me out LOL. I don't find the interaction an issue as I have bluffed my way through for years. Finding the technical side more difficult as last job I was the senior guy and could cover up my screw ups, now have a guy above me who thinks I am a robot and should never make mistakes. Used to love the job but now can't wait to give it up next year and start semi-retirement.

I think it halps having a very logical and emotion free brain to do fault finding. I am not that interested in people so can block out stuff going on around me. I enjot the driving part, thats my down time. I do get frustrated by things that seem difficult and thats where I just try and bodge things, tend to make a mess and get my anxiety levels up, but thats maybe once every couple of weeks.

• I am in that ball park but am a IT/electronic engineer. Orginally trained in the late 80's  but the electronic stuff changed massivley when I was out of the industry for about 5 years in the 90s. After a while I slipped into fixing printers, laptops, desktops and servers. Now just fix photocopiers which are pretty complex. I visit about 5 customers a day, almost all schools. I go to several 'special' schools where I am worried they wont let me out LOL. I don't find the interaction an issue as I have bluffed my way through for years. Finding the technical side more difficult as last job I was the senior guy and could cover up my screw ups, now have a guy above me who thinks I am a robot and should never make mistakes. Used to love the job but now can't wait to give it up next year and start semi-retirement.

I think it halps having a very logical and emotion free brain to do fault finding. I am not that interested in people so can block out stuff going on around me. I enjot the driving part, thats my down time. I do get frustrated by things that seem difficult and thats where I just try and bodge things, tend to make a mess and get my anxiety levels up, but thats maybe once every couple of weeks.

Children
No Data