What do you work as?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently exploring various job opportunities and considering a career in labour, particularly as an electrician. I'm fascinated by the idea of working with my hands and finding a sense of accomplishment in a tangible result. However, I'm curious to know about your experiences. What do you do for work, and how did you find your way into your current profession?

If anyone here works as an electrician or in a similar field, I would love to hear about your journey. What drew you to this line of work, and how do you find it suits your strengths and preferences as an autistic individual?

Feel free to share any advice, challenges you've faced, or even just what a typical day looks like. Let's build a supportive space where we can learn from each other and offer guidance to those who might be considering similar career paths.

Parents
  • At the moment, I am working in IT. I can say that the IT world is very ASD-friendly, especially because about 75% of the techs are deeply in the spectrum. The chief of IT security in my company looks like a deranged version of Richard Stallman, he won't be employable anywhere else. The pay is crap, and sometimes you have to deal with a lot of corporate inanity. Consider working in IT only if you could stomach living in a Dilbert strip 24/7

• What kind of IT work do you work in? I love IT which is one of my passions but I have always been worried if I do a job in IT my hobby of IT would be ruined. 

Heights also don't bother me but I am not as athletic as I once was when I was younger. 

• What kind of IT work do you work in? I love IT which is one of my passions but I have always been worried if I do a job in IT my hobby of IT would be ruined. 

Heights also don't bother me but I am not as athletic as I once was when I was younger. 

Children
  • yeah. Unless you are very, very skilled and qualified, a good part of your job would be following through idiotic procedures, dealing with dumb customers and dumber management, and following useless corporate social rituals. I love solving tech problems, but that is about 20% of the job. 

• I have always been worried if I do a job in IT my hobby of IT would be ruined. 

I always found that working in IT gave me more enthusiasts to talk with and the opportunity to listen to others experience to make more informed choices about my hobby.

It is probably a plus to work in IT if you enjoy it as a hobby and the chances of you doing similar things in work and play are incredibly slim.