What do you work as?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently exploring various job opportunities and considering a career in labour, particularly as an electrician. I'm fascinated by the idea of working with my hands and finding a sense of accomplishment in a tangible result. However, I'm curious to know about your experiences. What do you do for work, and how did you find your way into your current profession?

If anyone here works as an electrician or in a similar field, I would love to hear about your journey. What drew you to this line of work, and how do you find it suits your strengths and preferences as an autistic individual?

Feel free to share any advice, challenges you've faced, or even just what a typical day looks like. Let's build a supportive space where we can learn from each other and offer guidance to those who might be considering similar career paths.

Parents
  • I used to be an electrical/multiskill engineer in factories. The job is good, but only if you do not suffer from sensory issues. It's always too hot or too cold, too cramped or working at heights, extremely loud or silent as a tomb. Sometimes you have to work with pretty rough people. The job is also physically tiring, with long shifts and a lot of heavy lifting and climbing.

All in all, I just loved my job. I had to leave due to health reasons, but I loved it. The pay is also extremely good, there is a big shortage of trained engineers. You should be prepared to move, factories are usually in pretty remote places.

I would advice you to start with a B-Tec and then add some C&G electrical installation courses. Maybe a 18th edition qualification. An apprenticeship would be the best, but it is not easy to get it.

• I used to be an electrical/multiskill engineer in factories. The job is good, but only if you do not suffer from sensory issues. It's always too hot or too cold, too cramped or working at heights, extremely loud or silent as a tomb. Sometimes you have to work with pretty rough people. The job is also physically tiring, with long shifts and a lot of heavy lifting and climbing.

All in all, I just loved my job. I had to leave due to health reasons, but I loved it. The pay is also extremely good, there is a big shortage of trained engineers. You should be prepared to move, factories are usually in pretty remote places.

I would advice you to start with a B-Tec and then add some C&G electrical installation courses. Maybe a 18th edition qualification. An apprenticeship would be the best, but it is not easy to get it.

Children