What happens in an adult autism assessment?

Hello,

I have booked for a referal for an adult autism assessment on the 25th of January this year.

If I do get the referal, I would like to prepare myself.

What happens during an adult autism assessment?

In regards to things I will be asked to do, or things that I will be asked to tell them.

Thank-you,

Jayde.

Parents Reply Children
  • This was something that worried me a lot because my parents are gone.

In the end they let me use a cousin and a co-worker I’ve know for a long time. I think they would have let me go through without those people. They said it’s a very common problem.

• I filled in the parent form myself based on what I could remember and that seemed to be fine

• What happens if you don’t quite have parental/ or friends support. I.e my case where I have no emotions towards my family I don’t particularly care for them and I never tell them anything about me. They don’t even know I was diagnosed with depression/ anxiety, they don’t know about attempted unalivings or attempted running away etc etc (low-key want to keep it that way). I don’t have friends close enough as I’m still always heavily “masked” around them and each friend know me with different traits. One knows chocolate gives me a headache/ migraine one doesn’t etc etc. and I moved here from a different country when I was 7 so a lot of childhood friends and early childhood teachers are all back there.

Eessentially my question is can you still get through the assessment by yourself?  

• There were forms for your parents to fill in about how you were as a young child and the other forms would have given you the opportunity to list your other problems.

• So they would see the communication difficulty but then would they have an alternative way to give information about life experiences? Other than the people who know you interviews

• The initial interview would also obviously be a chance for the psychologist to witness / observe any difficulties too.

The ADOS test is a standard test (in the UK anyway) to assess things including how you interact with people. It’s usually done by a speech and language therapist. It’s a very weird experience.

• The forms I had to fill in would have covered all of that anyway and the other people they interviewed would have been able to tell them about such problems.