What sort of jobs suit high functioning autists?

I've never had a job before. My family encouraged me to stay dependent on government benefits. But I feel like in the long run it'd be better for me to earn my own income and not rely on agencies that don't want to give me their money. Thing is that I don't have any particular aspirations or likes. I just know the things I can't do. As much as I'd prefer a work from home job, there are lifestyle benefits to a job you have to go out and do that might be too important to ignore. So what sort of jobs work well for high functioning autism? Gimme something to think about since I don't really have any ideas for myself.

• Wow!!! Your job sounds both interesting and super peaceful! Blush It also sounds like you enjoy it which I think is key. If you really enjoy your work that must be nice.

I wonder if what your doing is something I could do once I'm done with school? 
    I like sorting and organising and keeping records of things... Everything I own, literally everything I keep records of and sort all my items regularly. I enjoy it and it's natural for me to sort stuff. My mum said I'm the only child she's known who sorted her books, toys and clothes and kept records of.

Ultimately I want to do veterinarian study so I can be a vet but if I could do something like what you're doing for a few years first that would be great

Everyone in my house doesn't enjoy their work and are mostly moaning about it and I'm hoping whatever I do after school will be something I enjoy and am interested in

• Thankfully, modern society has a lot of roles for ASD. If you have a formal diagnosis you can get workplace adjustments. For the rest, depends on your aptitude:

If you are a "techie" ASD, then any highly skilled technical work. In those jobs you are only valued for your tech skill. Nobody will care about your lack of social grace if you are the one able to weld an ammonia compliant pipe, and the pay is extremely good. I would advise electrician, welder, CNC or machinist.

If you lack tech aptitude, any job in the NHS or school/academia, although you will need social skills and a lot of masking. The good thing is that NHS or academia will be very supportive for ASD

• I think I would like 2 teach as well but think I'd only B ok with a small class Blush 

Mind u because of you tube you can do teaching videos online so that's another option 2 and it's from home which would probably suit so many people with asd

• I'm lucky enough to be in one of the very few jobs that I'd have been capable of sustaining without total burnout. I'm in essentially a largely back-room record-by-record cataloguing-style job in an academic library. It requires a lot of fiddly attention to detail, but 80% of the gig is essentially a conveyor belt of stuff that I've built up a reservoir of knowledge about how to deal with and there's flexibility in the pacing as long as certain averages overall are hit. I also really like it. I suppose that's the main thing: Find something where you go in with a sense of gratitude, not dread, because the job complements who you are. We get exhausted faster anyway, so don't let people tell you should force yourself out of your comfort zone: neurotypicals more often need that sense of renewed discomfort and fresh challenge to keep their batteries charged, we more often need the opposite! And I no longer feel embarrassment about that, have spent enough time wrongly feeling inadequate when in fact my instincts have protected me from damage.  

I suppose as no two autistic people are the same, so if the above sounds unappealing no offence taken! But hopefully it sounds like a viable option for you. 

• Loads of us have very well paid jobs in technology, but you’d need to either get some qualifications first or a place in an apprenticeship scheme (these are really good now).

• This depends entirely on what you find easy and hard and to what degree.

I'm good at handling lots of data, working as a research assistant, turning historical documents into excel spredsheets was a good role for me.

I'm less good at dealing with an overwhelming environment, I worked at a farmers market on saturdays, but it wasn't sustainable as I was having to sleep 14 hours after a 6 hour shift due to the exhaustion. 

I'm good at teaching but only in small groups, so while I'm a good teacher, I wouldn't be able to handle a classroom. Whereas one of my autistic friends is in training to be a primary school teacher as that works for her. 

When I do do public interaction roles, I like to have a script, and I'm good at remembering and working through checklists, so first aid was a good volunteering role for me, but I'm careful about which events I do it for. I like outside events and classical music, but would not be able to do a non classical music concert because of the sensory aspect.

I tried applying to work in supermarkets but I failed their psychometric tests because they didn't feel I was suitable for a 'customer facing role', and that's without telling them I was autistic, they just picked up on it. 

So there are loads of options, what are you good at? What do you enjoy? Any special interests or hobbies? And what would make a role untenable for you?

• What sort of jobs suit high functioning autists?

Really hard ones, really easy ones, ones with loads of people, ones with no people, ones with animals, ones with no animals, ones outdoors only, ones indoors indoor only, ones requiring design flair, ones that require no design flair, ones with numbers, ones with no numbers.

That doesn't cover everything, but you get the idea.

• It's worth factoring in just how hellishly competitive the job market is in the UK, competition for even the most basic roles is fierce. When you apply to jobs, you need to show you're above and beyond the rest. I'd set up a LinkedIn profile and consider running a blog/YouTube channel or doing some sort of outside-of-work activity to show you're active and creative. Volunteering is a great start, too.

Have you got any work experience?

If you want to work from home, those sort of roles are limited now following the Tory anti-WFH propaganda over the last year or so. That's been instrumental in forcing most businesses to insist everyone sits in expensive real estate for no reason. 

But! There are still WFH jobs, it's just competition to get them will be very, very fierce: Look out for roles such as:

- Data entry clerk (great starting position, one I had in 2011)

- Content writer/freelance writer

- Apprenticeships (check your local council site for beginner roles)

- Volunteering at local charities.

Not trying to put you off here, but don't set your sights purely on a WFH role. You'll be left disappointed as the UK has moved away from that. People who got a remote role 2 years ago in the boom are now being ordered back into the office.

Thing is that I don't have any particular aspirations or likes

Again, it's not about picking or choosing. Just focus on something and try to get into the role. That basic start can then lead to better things once you've got the experience.

The most important thing is to show you're enthusiastic and eager to get into work.

There are plenty of apprenticeships in digital marketing, for example, it's just not a particularly good environment for autistic people. As I've found. But I've just battled through it, despite the negative impact on my health, to get a career set up.

If you want a slow, steady start I'd suggest freelancing.

Find something you want to write about (video games, for example) and then make pitches to the various sites around online. Pay wouldn't be amazing, but you're tax exempt if you're making less than £11k a year.

• I've wondered about this as well because I finish school this year and then I'll need to get a job but I have no idea what job I'll go in to.

Ideally I want to be a vet because I'm passionate about animals

They're my special interest Blush but that will require further education college and then training

Both of which I can do but I struggle in the learning environment and it does put me off...

I've looked up online what jobs are good for people with autism and it says IT jobs and accounting, working in accounting, with children - noise might be triggering tho - and in a library.

So I guess they works b suitable?

Not sure I'd be interested in anything like that tho.

It says online to avoid working in shops and busy factories.