What sort of jobs suit high functioning autists?

I've never had a job before. My family encouraged me to stay dependent on government benefits. But I feel like in the long run it'd be better for me to earn my own income and not rely on agencies that don't want to give me their money. Thing is that I don't have any particular aspirations or likes. I just know the things I can't do. As much as I'd prefer a work from home job, there are lifestyle benefits to a job you have to go out and do that might be too important to ignore. So what sort of jobs work well for high functioning autism? Gimme something to think about since I don't really have any ideas for myself.

Parents
  • This depends entirely on what you find easy and hard and to what degree.

I'm good at handling lots of data, working as a research assistant, turning historical documents into excel spredsheets was a good role for me.

I'm less good at dealing with an overwhelming environment, I worked at a farmers market on saturdays, but it wasn't sustainable as I was having to sleep 14 hours after a 6 hour shift due to the exhaustion. 

I'm good at teaching but only in small groups, so while I'm a good teacher, I wouldn't be able to handle a classroom. Whereas one of my autistic friends is in training to be a primary school teacher as that works for her. 

When I do do public interaction roles, I like to have a script, and I'm good at remembering and working through checklists, so first aid was a good volunteering role for me, but I'm careful about which events I do it for. I like outside events and classical music, but would not be able to do a non classical music concert because of the sensory aspect.

I tried applying to work in supermarkets but I failed their psychometric tests because they didn't feel I was suitable for a 'customer facing role', and that's without telling them I was autistic, they just picked up on it. 

So there are loads of options, what are you good at? What do you enjoy? Any special interests or hobbies? And what would make a role untenable for you?

• I think I would like 2 teach as well but think I'd only B ok with a small class Blush 

Mind u because of you tube you can do teaching videos online so that's another option 2 and it's from home which would probably suit so many people with asd

• I think I would like 2 teach as well but think I'd only B ok with a small class Blush 

Mind u because of you tube you can do teaching videos online so that's another option 2 and it's from home which would probably suit so many people with asd

Children
No Data