The real you

Hi everyone 

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience of the differences between when your masking and unmasked?

My son has been having therapy for 4 months or so now and it’s been quite amazing to see the difference in his true personality tbh. He was very shy and quiet and still can be sometimes but being able to learn to unmask has definitely brought out another side to him. 
It has been great to see this for me as I now know how he feels and he doesn’t mind letting me know. This is something I would like to be able to do in the future and just wondered if it came as a shock to anyone or was there not much difference from when you masked??

Thanks for reading the post

Parents
  • I'm not sure there is a difference. I don't need to mask, as I don't attempt to be around other humans anymore.

I only have memories of a masked version of myself. I don't think I was particularly good at masking.  My problem is that I actually like the real me and want to be him all the time.

I suppose if I were to mask, I would start keeping my opinions broadly to myself.  This society is based on obedience to power.  Power moulds the behaviour  of individuals so that they are less of a threat to the interests of the powerful.

• I'm not sure there is a difference. I don't need to mask, as I don't attempt to be around other humans anymore.

I only have memories of a masked version of myself. I don't think I was particularly good at masking.  My problem is that I actually like the real me and want to be him all the time.

I suppose if I were to mask, I would start keeping my opinions broadly to myself.  This society is based on obedience to power.  Power moulds the behaviour  of individuals so that they are less of a threat to the interests of the powerful.

Children