Do autistic people get screwed over at work more?

Do autistic people get screwed over at work more or is it just me? Most jobs I have had I get taken advantage of or treated worse, with less respect, than other collegues by the people I work for. My most recent job I have been borderline defrauded. Two of my three previous ones I had to go to ACAS. 

I'm quite a worldly wise person and certainly not naïve but yet I always get treated as if I am a naïve mug who doesn't know what's what.

I'm not saying all this cos I feel sorry for myself, I just want to know if this is a common autistic experience in the workplace or whether it's just me?

Parents
  • That's very common, especially because many ASD end up working in low-paid jobs with people from lower socioeconomical strata. So, they end up as target for bullying and harassment. The only solution is to find a better job with more civil coworkers, but not every aspie can do that.

• because many ASD end up working in low-paid jobs with people from lower socioeconomical strata. So, they end up as target for bullying and harassment. The only solution is to find a better job with more civil coworkers,

I am not sure that actually follows.

I've been in lots of jobs in my life and I can think back over the most bullying people I worked with.

They came from various 'socio-economic' backgrounds.

Bullying and harassment isn't a class related thing in my own experience.

It's personality based.

You talk about people from 'lower socioeconomic strata' bullying and harassing but actually a lot of the most 'salt of the earth' working class people I've worked with have been by far the best, nicest and most sincere.

Often it's the people who see themselves as superior that are the most poisonous.

• I've worked in many socioeconomic strata. People from the lower strata tend to be more physically violent and abusive. The upper you go, the more "passive-aggressive" they become. ASD sufferers tend to be remissive and not physically aggressive, so they end up receiving a lot of abuse. I hope that it makes sense.

working class people I've worked with have been by far the best, nicest and most sincere.

That's exactly the contrary of my experience. I worked in factories and construction yards for 15 years.

• Reminder of Rule 5:

Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; please be aware that individuals may give opinions which are not shared by other members. Insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated.   

• Save it. I won't argue with you.

• Since you've already lied floridly once in this thread, I'd need a second opinion from a fair witness before giving that any consideration whatsoever. 

• So, we can just leave it there.   

Until the next time you pop up to mouth off in what appears to be a somewhat deranged manner in my direction, sure. 

Edit: Your time is probably better spent writing decent posts that help other people like the one I upvoted earlier today rather than trying to do whatever it is you think you are doing here.

• The judgement on display here, is indeed, dreddful.  I cannot begin to imagine the sad, empty and angry void that causes such corrosion to spew forth.  Tragic.  With deep and sincere pity.

• Spergy, I could say much and much worse, but then the mods would ban me for harassing a vulnerable person. So, we can just leave it there.   

• That's just such a weak attempt at abuse.

• Spergy, you never interacted with such a person in your life. Do not talk about things you do not know anything about.

• I prefer dealing with the burly construction worker.

If it was a "prank" then his next drink will contain ex-lax (I've done that, a guy in the army who used to like to drink my drinks found I'd put 18 ex-lax very finely ground up in a bottle f D&B once, very funny) if it's malevolent, then he might have a little "incident" of some type depending on the circumstances and my mood on the day..

It's that sneaky sly stuff that is alien to me.

• I prefer dealing with the burly construction worker.

If it was a "prank" then his next drink will contain ex-lax (I've done that, a guy in the army who used to like to drink my drinks found I'd put 18 ex-lax very finely ground up in a bottle f D&B once, very funny) if it's malevolent, then he might have a little "incident" of some type depending on the circumstances and my mood on the day..

It's that sneaky sly stuff that is alien to me.

Children