Do autistic people get screwed over at work more?

Do autistic people get screwed over at work more or is it just me? Most jobs I have had I get taken advantage of or treated worse, with less respect, than other collegues by the people I work for. My most recent job I have been borderline defrauded. Two of my three previous ones I had to go to ACAS. 

I'm quite a worldly wise person and certainly not naïve but yet I always get treated as if I am a naïve mug who doesn't know what's what.

I'm not saying all this cos I feel sorry for myself, I just want to know if this is a common autistic experience in the workplace or whether it's just me?

Parents
  • I'm so sorry you've been through this. Unfortunately yes we can often be used in the workplace and ignored, like we're ill and people don't want to get too close. This has been my experience a few times, but not every time. I think a lot of it is to do with my lack of social skills, I don't know how to act around people, and I think it shows, and my coworkers notice it. Past jobs like working in supermarkets were horrible, the noise and having to deal with customers was unbearable and there my coworkers were horrible to me and they didn't try to hide it.

I'm currently working for a firm, on a floor with a couple of other women. We get on, no one is horrible and honestly this is by far the best job I've ever had. I don't mix with my coworkers, I don't fit in with them. But we all get on and they can be helpful and supportive, if I'm struggling. I haven't made my diagnosis a secret, and everyone's accepting as far as I can tell.

• I'm so sorry you've been through this. Unfortunately yes we can often be used in the workplace and ignored, like we're ill and people don't want to get too close. This has been my experience a few times, but not every time. I think a lot of it is to do with my lack of social skills, I don't know how to act around people, and I think it shows, and my coworkers notice it. Past jobs like working in supermarkets were horrible, the noise and having to deal with customers was unbearable and there my coworkers were horrible to me and they didn't try to hide it.

I'm currently working for a firm, on a floor with a couple of other women. We get on, no one is horrible and honestly this is by far the best job I've ever had. I don't mix with my coworkers, I don't fit in with them. But we all get on and they can be helpful and supportive, if I'm struggling. I haven't made my diagnosis a secret, and everyone's accepting as far as I can tell.

Children
No Data