Late diagnosed - are we over analysing what we do?

Are we over thinking our reactions behaviours ect. after masking for so long? I dont think i thought about my behaviour ect. so much before i discovered that i was autistic. I know that i am not masking as much as i was, and it feels good. My contact with people is limited from choice, and im ok with that. I think that its realising i dont have to be with people, if i dont want to be. 

Parents
  • Yes I do think this is something that happens when we are diagnosed later in life. I certainly became a lot more self aware when I realised I was autistic. I believe it's part of the process of unmasking, trying to work out when we might be masking and how. Much of masking is done subconsciously and will have started very early in life.

What I'm finding though, is that I'm feeling less tolerant and more impatient towards people now. And I want to be around people less. It's really hard not to say, "sorry I'm not interested" or "sorry I don't do small talk". Or "I'm sorry I don't want to listen to all your problems". I feel bad that I feel like this, because it's not the real me. Or is it ?

I can definitely identify with this. The real me doesn't want to be around people much and certainly doesn't want to do any more pointless small talk. I've just posted about it on another thread.

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/mental-health-and-wellbeing/35299/why-is-school-so-hard/343538#343538

• I just read your other post. Very relatable. Thanks.

Reply Children
No Data