Private diagnosis for ASD

Hello, interested to hear from anyone who has opted for the private route for ASD diagnosis and whether or not you felt it was worth spending that amount of money versus the long NHS waiting list?  I'm looking at The Edinburgh Practice website whose current fees are £1750.

Warm wishes
Carole

Parents
  • Hi Carole.
    That is a lot of Money to spend on a Diagnosis.
    If you DO come back on the Spectrum and get a formal diagnosis,then that's it....
    You will have an answer but after that ??.....Nothing happens.
    You get a follow up appointment and then you are on your own.
    There are no benefits to being diagnosed.
    Be carefful with your Money.
    Best wishes.

• It’s certainly true that there is no concrete benefit -  no treatment or post diagnostic support.

But I needed the certainty that I wasn’t imagining it and my assessors did explain a lot about what I told them I was experiencing - I learned a lot in the process and felt validated and understood for the first time ever. I’ve also been worrying about my ability to keep working, at least at the same level, for some time and it gave me some comfort to be able to inform my employer that I have a disability, which may make it trickier for them to sack me if it ever came to that.

But I could easily afford the private service. I realise I’m lucky in that respect.

• It’s certainly true that there is no concrete benefit -  no treatment or post diagnostic support.

But I needed the certainty that I wasn’t imagining it and my assessors did explain a lot about what I told them I was experiencing - I learned a lot in the process and felt validated and understood for the first time ever. I’ve also been worrying about my ability to keep working, at least at the same level, for some time and it gave me some comfort to be able to inform my employer that I have a disability, which may make it trickier for them to sack me if it ever came to that.

But I could easily afford the private service. I realise I’m lucky in that respect.

Children
No Data