Merry Christmas To you all and the MODS.

Have a peaceful Day.
God bless.

Parents
  • As the first moderator coming back after the Christmas break, thank you Major Malfunction on behalf of all of us! :)

A belated Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the community members!

Thanks,
    Ross - mod

• Yes, and to the Rockers too Smile 

• I have a pair of sta-pressed trousers and a couple of Modish looking jumpers. I used to have a Bowlcut when I was younger also.  Made me look a bit 60's.

• Punk essentially morphed into Hardcore by the 80's. Hardcore continues to this day.  It developed subgenres and it also fused with other genres.  There's some interesting fusion genres involving Hardcore and Metal that I was listening to for a bit earlier this year.

• I used to have quite an interest in the aesthetics of Mod and its music. I still do to a certain extent. Altho never a fan of The Who!

Belonging to a subculture took effort. Now you just buy it and discard it at the swipe of a screen.

• Interesting. I've never heard of this. 

I'm currently doing a Futurelearn course with the University of Reading about Punk.

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge.  Another subculture that I have been reading about.

• I love subcultures

I used to go to Kings Road London alone in the 1970s (I was a teenager) and walk up and down looking at the punks.

I found them fascinating.

• I've never met a Teddy Boy in the wild.  Have you?

Not met but in the late 60s when I was a young child we were walking in Southend-on-Sea down to the seafront and hundreds of them passed us.

It was quite impressive.

• I love subcultures. They are really interesting. I've never met a Teddy Boy in the wild.  Have you?

• I hope this explanation provides a clearer understanding of why they were called Mods in the 1960s!

That was interesting.

There were also the Teddy Boys and Girls around the same period (50s - 60s):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Boys

• Most of the Mod's I've known have been from ordinary Working Class backgrounds.  Although they often have money to spend on Clothes and Vehicles. So they are not the Poorest of the Poor.

The Mod scene is still going and always has new, young adherents.

• I didn't know much about why they were called Mods in 1960s so have asked Google Bard and this is what it said:

The term "Mod" in the 1960s for the specific subculture arose from a couple of key factors:

1. Modernism and Jazz:

• Early Mods in the late 1950s were heavily influenced by modernist jazz, hence the abbreviation "Mod" from "Modernists."

• They preferred sleek, tailored fashions and embraced the cool, intellectual aura of jazz musicians.

• This contrasted with the Teddy Boys, the immediate predecessors of Rockers, who favored 1950s rock 'n' roll and Edwardian-inspired clothing.

2. Modernity and Consumerism:

• As the 1960s progressed, Mods embraced an aesthetic centered around modernity, technology, and consumerism.

• They donned sharp suits, often custom-made or from Italian designers, paired with clean haircuts and polished footwear.

• Their lifestyle revolved around attending clubs with sophisticated sound systems, riding scooters (especially Vespas and Lambrettas), and enjoying amphetamine-fueled all-night dancing.

Distinguishing Mods from Rockers:

• Rocker: Greaser-inspired aesthetics, leather jackets, motorcycles, and a love for rock 'n' roll. Often associated with a working-class background and rebellious attitudes.

• Mod: Slick suits, minimalist aesthetics, scooter culture, and a focus on modern music like soul, rhythm and blues, and later, British rock bands like The Who and Small Faces. Seen as more middle-class and intellectual.

Media Portrayal and the "Mods vs. Rockers" Hype:

• Media sensationalized the differences between Mods and Rockers, creating a narrative of rival subcultures prone to violent clashes.

• While some skirmishes did occur, they were far less frequent than depicted in the media. The two groups often co-existed peacefully, attending different events and enjoying their respective styles.

Ultimately, the term "Mod" in the 1960s reflected a specific youth subculture defined by their lean towards modern aesthetics, consumerism, and a distinct taste in music and lifestyle. The "Mods vs. Rockers" rivalry, while exaggerated, remains a fascinating cultural flashpoint highlighting the diverse youth movements of the era.

I hope this explanation provides a clearer understanding of why they were called Mods in the 1960s!

• I didn't know much about why they were called Mods in 1960s so have asked Google Bard and this is what it said:

The term "Mod" in the 1960s for the specific subculture arose from a couple of key factors:

1. Modernism and Jazz:

• Early Mods in the late 1950s were heavily influenced by modernist jazz, hence the abbreviation "Mod" from "Modernists."

• They preferred sleek, tailored fashions and embraced the cool, intellectual aura of jazz musicians.

• This contrasted with the Teddy Boys, the immediate predecessors of Rockers, who favored 1950s rock 'n' roll and Edwardian-inspired clothing.

2. Modernity and Consumerism:

• As the 1960s progressed, Mods embraced an aesthetic centered around modernity, technology, and consumerism.

• They donned sharp suits, often custom-made or from Italian designers, paired with clean haircuts and polished footwear.

• Their lifestyle revolved around attending clubs with sophisticated sound systems, riding scooters (especially Vespas and Lambrettas), and enjoying amphetamine-fueled all-night dancing.

Distinguishing Mods from Rockers:

• Rocker: Greaser-inspired aesthetics, leather jackets, motorcycles, and a love for rock 'n' roll. Often associated with a working-class background and rebellious attitudes.

• Mod: Slick suits, minimalist aesthetics, scooter culture, and a focus on modern music like soul, rhythm and blues, and later, British rock bands like The Who and Small Faces. Seen as more middle-class and intellectual.

Media Portrayal and the "Mods vs. Rockers" Hype:

• Media sensationalized the differences between Mods and Rockers, creating a narrative of rival subcultures prone to violent clashes.

• While some skirmishes did occur, they were far less frequent than depicted in the media. The two groups often co-existed peacefully, attending different events and enjoying their respective styles.

Ultimately, the term "Mod" in the 1960s reflected a specific youth subculture defined by their lean towards modern aesthetics, consumerism, and a distinct taste in music and lifestyle. The "Mods vs. Rockers" rivalry, while exaggerated, remains a fascinating cultural flashpoint highlighting the diverse youth movements of the era.

I hope this explanation provides a clearer understanding of why they were called Mods in the 1960s!

Children