Engagement rings and autism

Might be getting engaged next year, and while I like the idea of getting a ring I cannot stand wearing  them I have tried. Thinking of getting a bracelet instead! Is this a sensory thing?

• Surgeons often wear engagement and wedding rings on a chain around their neck because obviously having a ring under surgical gloves is a no no. I’m sure your fiance would understand if you wanted to do something like that.

• Could be a sensory issue, I don’t like wearing necklaces or having anything touching my neck really. My friend has a tattoo instead of a wedding ring because she can’t wear any jewellery at work for safety reasons but that might not be great if you have sensory issues with your hands!

• It probably is a sensory thing, yes. I got civil partnered and I don't have a ring at all, though in my case it's because I have big knuckles and skinny fingers so finding a ring that fits well enough is impossible!

• It could well be a sensory thing, or possibly even an allergy thing.

My parents never bothered having an official engagement before getting married, as they didn't see the need for it. In addition, as money was tight, it was only my mother who ended up with a wedding ring. However, after several years she had to stop wearing it because she had started to develop an allergy to it.

I seem to have acquired the same allergy. When I was younger I used to wear rings and earrings, in addition to necklaces. Now, I can only wear necklaces and plastic studs. I wear glasses too and have to ensure the frames are plastic.

• I think it probably is sensory related. I also dont like wearing rings.